jlouis, Tutor in school age kids/nurse
Experience:  I have been a tutor for school age children for years. I am also a nurse

How are faults, foci and epicenters related

Category: Homework
Expert:  jlouis replied 7 years ago.
Hello. I can try to help you with this. How long does this need to be?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not long, just a simple overview 150-200 words
Expert:  jlouis replied 7 years ago.
Ok. I will have some information to you shortly.
Expert:  jlouis replied 7 years ago.
Here is some information for you. I hope this helps you

Epicenters seem to be located almost everywhere on the map, but they are concentrated in some places. These clusters of epicenters are often elongated, or appear to occur next to other clusters in somewhat linear arrangements.There appears to be some correlation between the two (epicenters and fault traces), since some of the obvious "holes" in the seismicity distribution occur in areas devoid of major fault traces. On the other hand, not all major fault traces seem to be associated with large numbers of epicenters, and some clusters of epicenters do not lie along any major fault trace.

There is a noticeable correlation between the two sets (epicenters and fault traces), but that correlation is far from one-to-one.

Since earthquakes occur when a fault slips, the fact that epicenters can be found almost anywhere on this map suggests that there must be a very large number of small faults all across southern California.

There are a number of epicenters closely associated with the San Andreas fault zone, but not nearly as many as can be found near some of the other major fault zones. Perhaps this suggests that the San Andreas fault zone ruptures primarily in large events, or perhaps the level of stress near the fault is, in general, too low to cause minor earthquakes along tiny, nearby faults
Expert:  jlouis replied 7 years ago.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.