Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

I need help with a writing test for Penn Foster Exam # XXXXX

Customer Question

I need help with a writing test for Penn Foster Exam # XXXXX Improving Your Writing
Category: Homework
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 5 years ago.

I am already working on your other question regarding ms word

I can do this for you also?

can you send it

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Objective You demonstrate that you’re able to work through all stages of the writing process to produce persuasive writing. To accomplish this assignment, you apply skills and rules taught in the first five study units. Background Ten years ago, you started working as a clerk for DMD Medical Supplies. Six months ago, Liz Jakowski, the human resources director, promoted you to office manager. You manage two employees: Jack Snyder and Ruth Disselkoen. Your office provides secretarial support for the four members of the executive team. Two years ago, Liz had assigned Jack to support Ralph Alane and Jessica Hilo. Ruth was assigned to Samuel Daley and Frank Daley. The work flow was equally balanced. You’ve noticed that in the last three months Ruth has cut her breaks short to complete her work, complains of being tired, and at least twice a month requires overtime hours costing the company an additional $200 a month. In the last three weeks, Frank Daley has complained to you a few times about the poor quality of Ruth’s work. On the other hand, over the last three months, Jack frequently seems to have little to do. He has begun coming in late a couple times a week and taking more than the allotted break times. What work he does have, however, is always professionally completed. Clearly, you must investigate to determine what is causing this change and how to improve the situation. Since nothing has changed in the personal lives of either Jack or Ruth, you conclude you must focus on the in-office work situation. You learn the following facts: • Samuel and Frank Daley share a part-time administrative assistant who works only 15 hours a week. • Ralph Alane and Jessica Hilo share a full-time administrative assistant. • Jessica Hilo has been on medical leave for the last four months, and Liz Jakowski isn’t sure whether Jessica will be able to return to work. • Jessica’s duties have been temporarily reassigned to Ralph and Frank. Although you don’t have the authority to change the work assignments of the two administrative assistants or the executive team, you clearly need to change your office assignments so that both Jack and Ruth work regularly without requiring overtime. Process 1. The background explains the primary cause of the workflow problem and the negative effects resulting from it. Your task is to make up a realistic plan which solves the uneven productivity between Jack and Ruth. Use prewriting tools like brainstorming, cluster or webbing diagrams, and freewriting to outline the cause-effect situation and to develop a specific solution that best solves the problem. Also ask yourself the following questions to expand your prewriting. • How long has this situation been going on? • Why did the problems begin when they did? • Am I able to solve the problem at its root cause or am I only able to manage the impact of the problem? • Is this a temporary or permanent problem? • How has the company been affected? • How have the employees been affected? • What’s in my power to change? What must stay the same? • What are two or three ways to improve the efficiency of my office? • How much work, time, and money would be required to implement each solution? • Does each solution stop all the negative effects? • Are there any benefits to the change beyond stopping what is occurring? • How exactly would each change affect Jack, Ruth, and the executive team? • What would I have to do to make sure each change goes through as planned and to monitor the situation once the solution is in place? 2. From your prewriting, develop the single best solution to the situation described in the background. Obviously, you won’t be able to use everything you’ve prewritten, so your first step is to choose what’s most important for the purpose and audience. As you outline a solution, you may need to make up more specific details that define the steps of the plan and describe particular benefits of the plan. 3. Next, sort your details and information about the problem and the plan into one of the two sections given below. Don’t worry about complete sentences for this sorting stage; merely list the information under the appropriate section. Use information from both the background and your prewriting. Section 1 • Facts and figures that define the problem (the cause) • Details that show the impact of the problem (effects) on Jack, Ruth, and the company Section 2 • The steps needed to change the situation • Reason to implement each step, including the benefits to your employees, your supervisor, and the company • Information about your role in the change 4. After sorting the information, draft a first-try, rough paragraph for Section 1 and another paragraph for Section 2. Your goal is to place the listed information in the most logical order using sentence and paragraph format. Leave all spelling, grammar, punctuation, and other mistakes exactly as they are. Don’t do any editing as you write this first draft. The worse it looks at this stage, the better your final product will appear in contrast. 5. Set your rough draft aside and don’t work any further on this assignment for at least 24 hours. 6. After your break, reread the background information and the questions guiding your prewriting in Step 1. Then reread the rough paragraphs you drafted for Section 1 and 2 to refresh your memory. If you came up with new ideas since you wrote the draft, add your thoughts before you go further. 7. Focus on the rough draft of Section 2, which you wrote in Step 4. Divide the paragraph into two main ideas and reorganize your information accordingly to develop two separate paragraphs based on Section 2. The paragraphs must first describe your solution and then persuade your supervisor to implement that solution. Each paragraph must have one main idea related to this purpose and audience. Note: Don’t revise Section 1. Revise only the rough draft you wrote for Section 2, expanding the single paragraph into two paragraphs. 8. Prewrite further if needed to develop more details and explanation to flesh out the two paragraphs based on Section 2. Next, apply the drafting and revising strategies taught in this and previous study units to produce two properly developed paragraphs. Together these two paragraphs must total between 200 to 300 words. 9. Once again, set your work aside for at least 24 hours. 10. Read the evaluation criteria given on the next page, which will be used to score your work. Continue to revise, edit, and proofread the two paragraphs from Section 2 to meet each of the criteria. Evaluation Criteria Ideas and content (development and unity). You’ve thoughtfully divided the Section 2 information into two balanced paragraphs. In each paragraph, you present one clear main idea. Each of the two main ideas directly relates to the assigned purpose and audience: persuading Liz Jakowski to implement your solution. You effectively combine applicable information from the Background with insightful details of your own to develop a step-by-step plan. Those details are knitted together with reasonable explanation that includes the benefits from implementing your plan. (20 points) Organization (coherence and paragraph structure). You develop the main idea of each paragraph in a logical direction. The first paragraph flows naturally into the second paragraph without blurring the two main ideas. Your details fit naturally where placed. You effectively use connective wording to weave information and explanation into a cohesive whole. (20 points) Voice. Each paragraph maintains a single point of view using appropriate pronouns and verbs in active voice. In an informal business fashion, you connect with your supervisor. Your tone and voice give an engaging flavor to the message; they are appropriate for both the audience and purpose. (10 points) Word choice. Each word works smoothly with the other words to convey the intended message in a precise, appealing, and original way. The words you choose are specific, accurate, and energetic. You don’t use slang, clichés, or jargon. (15 points) Sentence fluency. Your sentences are well built, with varied length, type, and structure to give each paragraph a sense of controlled yet graceful movement. When read aloud, the two paragraphs have a natural, pleasant rhythm. (15 points) Conventions. You demonstrate a skillful grasp of the standard writing conventions for American English, using correct grammar, usage, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. Your choices guide the reader through the text with ease. The two paragraphs together total 200 to 300 words and are submitted in the format outlined below. (20 points) Note: The examination Answer Sheet contains a scoring grid which outlines the point values for each criterion. The listed scores are built around the Penn Foster grading scale. • Skill Realized scores equal grades in the A to high-B range. • Skill Developing scores equal grades in the mid-B to C range. • Skill Emerging scores equal grades in the D to F range. 11. Once you have a final, polished version of the two paragraphs based on Section 2, open a new document on your computer’s word-processing program and type your work. Format the document to double space, using a standard font, size 12, left justification (also called align left and ragged right). Set 1-inch or 1.25-inch margins for both left and right sides of the page. Indent the first line of each paragraph by 0.5-inch tab. Hit Enter only once after the first paragraph to begin the second paragraph. Don’t use any other type of format, such as a letter or memo. Merely type the two paragraphs. 12. Insert a header in the following format containing your student name, student number, full exam number, page numbering, mailing address, and e-mail address. Jane Doe 12345678 02800501 1XXXXXMy Town, AZ 34567XXX@XXXXXX.XXX For your file name, save the document using your name, student number, and eight-digit exam number (e.g., Jane Doe 12345678 02800501). Under File, click Save As, then Save as type. Click to open the menu of options and choose Rich-Text format. After typing your work, make sure you edit and proofread at least one more time. Use the computer’s grammar and spell checks cautiously. Not everything the computer suggests is correct, particularly for the purpose and audience.