ResearchPro
ResearchPro, Tutor/College Instructor
Experience:  20+ Years Experience Tutoring/Teaching in Various Fields
12965337

Need ASAP!!!! Assignment Debunking Gender Misconceptions

Customer Question

Need Sunday 11-30-2008 Assignment: Debunking Gender Misconceptions
· Resource: Appendix E
· Due Date: Day 7 [Individual] forum
· Consider that there are many gender misconceptions in education. For example, some
people believe that boys are more suited for and more interested in math and science.
Think about other stereotypes that exist related to gender. How do these stereotypes and
misconceptions impact education in the United States? What are your beliefs regarding
ability differences between males and females in general and in education? What
evidence can you present to validate your viewpoint? Also consider the existing laws that
are meant to guarantee equal treatment in education for girls and boys.

Category: Homework
Expert:  ResearchPro replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am on the Pacific Coast, Seattle area - when do you need this Sunday! I will try to help you if I can!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I need this by 11pm Arizona time

here is the peer information as well and apendix e information

Appendix E

Microsoft® PowerPoint® Basics

For the assignment, Debunking Gender Misconceptions, you are required to use Microsoft® PowerPoint®. This appendix is meant to give you the very basics for using the PowerPoint® program

Getting Started

? Open Microsoft® PowerPoint®.

? Start a new presentation: Click on Blank Presentation, then OK.

? Choosing a slide layout: Click on Format, then Slide Layout. A good one to start with is one with a header and bullet points.

? Type in text for the slide (Suggestion: Put the title of your paper in the top box and then your name and class information in the lower box. Next slide: Overview of paper topics-introduction. Next slide: First topic).

? To add presenter's notes: Click on the Notes Page. Click on View, then Notes Page. To get back to the slide, click on View, then Normal.

? To add a slide: Click on Insert, then New slide.

? To add background color: Click on Format, then Background, and then More colors (for the full palette).

? To insert a slide in the middle of your other slides: Go to the left side of the screen, where it gives you an overview of your slides, and click on the place where you want the new slide to go. Click on Insert, then New Slide.

? To change the order of your slides: Go to the presentation overview on the left side of the screen, click on the slide you want to move, and then drag and drop it where you want it to go.

? Save your presentation just as you would save a Microsoft® Word document by clicking on File, then Save,

Note: If you get stuck, use the Help feature to figure things out. Click on Help, then Microsoft® PowerPoint® help and type in a keyword.

Presentation Points to Keep in Mind

? Microsoft® PowerPoint® is a visual aid to express the main ideas of a presentation. Before you can express your main ideas, you need to have a solid notion of the message you want to communicate. So, be sure to spend a good deal of your preparation time on the content of your presentation, not just your visual aids.

? Limit the amount of information you put on each screen. If information is crowded densely onto on a screen, your audience is likely to read the screen and not listen to you, or the information will be too small for your audience to read. A rule of thumb is to limit the text to seven lines per screen.

? Information on each slide should summarize the main points. If you feel that your information needs more explanation, then you should use the presenter's notes feature to explain the information. Then when you turn your assignment in make sure your instructor knows that you have used presenter's notes.

? Bullet points, charts, and diagrams help organize information visually.

? Keep formatting and backgrounds simple to avoid being distracting. If your presentation is very complex visually (such as moving images, lots of bright colors, etc.), it is likely your audience will pay more attention to the images than to what you are saying.

? Graphics add interest to your presentation. Pictures, clip art, and arrows are good; just limit the number of them you use per screen and keep them relevant to the text. If you are not sure if something is distracting, ask someone to review your work and give you some feedback (Wilder and Fine, 1996).

More Tips

There are also many Web sites that focus on Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentations. Go to your favorite search engine and enter "Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation."

Reference

Wilder, C., and Fine, D. (1996). Point, click & wow!! A quick guide to brilliant laptop presentations. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Pfeiffer.

peer information

I will get the ball rolling for our discussion, however, I am not sure if we are all picking the same three. The three that I find most interesting to address are as follows:
1. Boys who participate in the arts are more likely to be homosexual
2. Girls are more interested in domestic arts than boys are
3. Boys are more competitive in sports and academics than girls are

I personally have two men in my family who are artists and they are not homosexual. One is a photographer and one is a painter. Although some men may be homosexual in the field of arts, this can be said about men in many professions. In order to debunk the gender stigma, I think people should focus on the work they do as individuals, regardless of sexual orientation and realize that art is not a gender-based profession. It is a profession of expression.

As far as the next topic of girls being more interested in domestic arts than boys, this is untrue as well. In the past, men were seen as joining the work force while women stayed home to take care of domestic issues. We are seeing more and more men staying home with families these day while the women become the main breadwinners. This is because times have changed and women are equally entering the workforce with the men and either splitting or passing on their domestic duties with their husbands.

I do not believe boys are any more competitive at sports and academics than girls because of all of the females who excel in sports and in school. Boys may be more outspoken when it comes to competition whereas women may possibly be more humble in their approach. Nonetheless, the competition is fierce between both genders. Both sexes want to succeed and will compete in order to achieve their goals.

Jennifer

The three most common misconceptions that I chose are:

1. Boys are more competitive in sports and academics than girls- I feel that especially in today's time girls are just as competitive. We feel more equal to the boys in today's time. There was a time when boys were the only ones that were allowed to participate in sports but since girls have proven that there is a desire to participate I feel that things are more evenly balanced. In the time when girls were discouraged from participating in sports, they were also looked at as not as smart or not as likely to succeed. It was thought that girls intelligence was not as important since their duty was to have babies and care for their homes. In today's time it is just as important for a girl to receive a good education so they can become what they want.

2. Boys are more interested in auto shop and wood shop than girls- This sort of falls under the same example. The more that teachers are educated on equality for all students, the less that these sort of stereotypes will exist. Colleges and textbooks are much better now at preparing teachers to not stereotype students.

3. Boys who participate in arts are more likely to be homosexual- The same textbooks also help teachers to learn to have an unbiased opinion in regards XXXXX XXXXX students sexuality. the teacher shouldn't be judging a student anyway. What a student's sexual orientation is should stay out of the school system as much as possible. The fact that they are participating in arts only shows that is where their interest is. It shouldn't be anything that is looked at in a bad way. Just as girls can accomplish so much more these days, so can boys. They shouldn't be held back by their gender.

Chandra

1. Boys are more interested in math and science than girls.

2. Boys that participate in arts are more likely to be homosexual.

3. Boys are more competitive in sports than girls are.

The first myth is boys are more interested in math and science than girls. I believe this myth can go both ways. There are some girls that are more interested in math and science. This all depends on the person. Some males grow up and want to explore more of the scientific fields. This does not mean that the woman is not interested also. Most teachers may feel this myth is true ,because they may feel scientific things are only for boys. The girls in the classroom may feel this is stereotyping, because they also may be interested in scientific methods.

Boys that participate in arts are more likely to be homosexual. I believe this myth is totally wrong. My nephew loves art and is not a homosexual. I believe society has classified different people to the point that it is the same way in schools. There may be a male student that is interested in the arts program at school. He may not go out for it because of the fear of being made fun of. There are plenty of straight people that participate in the arts program. People should take the time and get to know others and should not be classified a certain way because of the job or field they are in.

Boys are more competitive in sports than girls are. Now this is my favorite myth. This is also false. When I was in high school I believe I was more competive than any boy I knew. I love sports. I know plenty of girls that are very competitive in sports. I had this teacher when I was in Elementary. She would always say things like little girls do not get dirty or little girls do not sweat. She was a perfect example of this myth, she would agree with this, but I beg to differ. I did not listen to her and I won all kinds of awards for my hard work and dedication to sports.

Lenora

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WAs wondering if you would be able to do this. I really appreciate your help. And many thanks
Yes, whew, I first read it as 11am ;) no wories!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks I really appreciate your help I seem to have caught the flu from my kids
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
ResearchPro, Tutor/College Instructor
Experience: 20+ Years Experience Tutoring/Teaching in Various Fields
So, not too much ranting? What'd you think - this assignement was fun, I could've gone on and on and on.... hope you're better! K
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I though it was awesome and added some notes to it. Thank you so much. I apologize I didn't get back to you yesterday. I loved it and I couldn't have asked for a better to person to do it. Thanks!!!
I am so glad! I had such fun with some of the visuals! There is so much out there that is tought provoking!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help got an A on it
I am so very pleased, and that you let me know! Hope I can help you again! Kelvin