Seanna
Seanna, Tutor
Experience:  3,000+ satisfied customers, all topics, A+ work
8227740

Review Ch. 8 & 9 of the text. Complete the Air Pollution

Review Ch. 8 & 9 of the text.
· Complete the Air Pollution Chart in Appendix D and respond to the questions provided at
the bottom of Appendix D. must be in your own words not copy and paste due tuesday 11/4/08

Axia College Material

Appendix D

Air Pollution Chart

After reviewing Ch. 8 and 9 of your text, complete the following table, then respond to the questions that follow:

Issue

Sources

Health/Environmental Effects

Carbon dioxide (CO2)

Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)

Ground-level ozone (O3)

Sulfuric acid (H2SO4)

Note: Some pollutants may not have direct health effects.

Choose one of the following atmospheric issues: air pollution, global warming, ozone depletion, and acid deposition. Then, respond to the following:

• What air pollutants combine and contribute to this issue?
  • Briefly describe the health and environmental problems caused by the selected atmospheric issue.
  • Provide one key solution to help either reduce the effects or recover from the effects of the selected issue.

8.2 Types and Sources of Air Pollution

PollutantCategoryCharacteristics
Nitrogen oxides
Nitrogen dioxide (NO2)PrimaryReddish brown gas
PollutantCategoryCharacteristics
Carbon oxides
Carbon monoxide (CO)PrimaryColorless, odorless gas
Carbon dioxide (CO2)PrimaryColorless, odorless gas

PollutantCategoryCharacteristics
Hydrocarbons
Methane (CH4)PrimaryColorless, odorless gas
Benzene (C6H6)PrimaryLiquid with sweet smell
Figure zoom Figure 8-6 Ozone damage
A scientist measures the effects of ozone on the growth and productivity of plum trees. Plants exposed to ozone generally exhibit damaged leaves, reduced root growth, and a lowered productivity. Photographed in the San Joaquin Valley, California.
PollutantCategoryCharacteristics
Ozone (O3)SecondaryPale blue gas with irritating odor

:
PollutantCategoryCharacteristics
Air toxics
Chlorine (Cl2)PrimaryYellow-green gas

What a Scientist Sees

Air pollution from natural sources

A. The Blue Ridge Mountains show the bluish-purple haze for which they were named. The haze is from air pollutants emitted by the trees.
B. This graph shows hydrocarbon emissions in Atlanta, Georgia. Plant-produced isoprene and other biological emissions contribute about three-fourths of all hydrocarbon emissions in the area.

8.1 The Atmospheres

Global Wind Patters
Remote Sensing and climate Interactivity
Weather Stations Interactivity
Learning Objective
Define atmosphere and list the major gases comprising the atmosphere.
Briefly describe the five concentric layers of the atmosphere.
Define the Coriolis effect.

Oxygen and nitrogen are the predominant gases in the atmosphere , accounting for about 99 percent of dry air (Table 8-1). Other gases make up the remaining 1 percent. In addition, water vapor and trace amounts of air pollutants are present in the air. The atmosphere becomes less dense as it extends outward into space.
Table 8-1 Composition of the Atmosphere*
Nitrogen78%
Oxygen21%
Argon0.93%
Carbon dioxide0.04%
Other gases0.03%

Ulf Merbold, a German space shuttle astronaut, felt differently about the atmosphere after viewing it in space (Figure 8-1). "For the first time in my life, I saw the horizon as a curved line. It was accentuated by a thin seam of dark blue light-our atmosphere. Obviously, this wasn't the ‘ocean' of air I had been told it was so many times in my life. I was terrified by its fragile appearance." The atmosphere is composed of five concentric layers-the troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere, and exosphere (Figure 8-2). These layers vary in altitude and temperature, depending on the latitude and season.
Figure zoom Figure 8-1 The atmosphere
The "ocean of air" is a thin blue layer that separates the planet from the blackness of space.

The atmosphere performs several valuable ecosystem services. First, it protects Earth's surface from most of the sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation and x-rays, and from lethal amounts of cosmic rays from space. Life as we know it would cease to exist without this shielding. Second, the atmosphere allows visible light and some infrared radiation to penetrate, both of which warm Earth's surface and the lower atmosphere. This interaction between solar energy and atmosphere is responsible for our weather and climate.
Organisms depend on the atmosphere for existence, but they also maintain and, in certain instances, modify its composition. Atmospheric oxygen is thought to have increased to its present level as a result of billions of years of photosynthesis. A balance between oxygen-producing photosynthesis and oxygen-using cellular respiration maintains the current level of oxygen.
Visualizing
Figure zoom Figure 8-2 The atmosphere

Atmospheric Circulation

Variations in the amount of solar energy that reaches different areas on Earth cause differences in temperature, which then drive the circulation of the atmosphere. The very warm regions near the equator heat the air, causing it to expand and rise (Figure 8-3). As this warm air rises, it cools, and then it sinks again. Much of it recirculates almost immediately to the same areas it has left, but the remainder of the heated air splits and flows in two directions, toward the poles. The air chills enough to sink to the surface at about 30 degrees north and south latitudes. This descending air splits and flows over the surface in two directions.
Figure zoom Figure 8-3 Atmospheric circulation and heat exchange
Atmospheric circulation transports heat from the equator to the poles (left side of figure).

Layers of the Atmosphere Similar upward movements of warm air and its subsequent flow toward the poles also occur at higher latitudes farther from the equator. At the poles, the air cools, sinks, and flows back toward the equator, generally beneath the currents of warm air that simultaneously flow toward the poles. These constantly moving currents move heat from the equator toward the poles and cool the land over which they pass on their return. This continuous circulation moderates temperatures over Earth's surface.
In addition to these global circulation patterns, the atmosphere features smaller-scale horizontal movements, or winds. The motion of wind, with its eddies, lulls, and turbulent gusts, is difficult to predict. It results partly from fluctuations in atmospheric pressure and partly from the planet's rotation.
The gases that constitute the atmosphere have weight and exert a pressure-about 1013 millibars (14.7 lb per in2) at sea level. Air pressure is variable, depending on altitude, temperature, and humidity. Winds tend to blow from areas of high atmospheric pressure to areas of low pressure, and the greater the difference between the high-and low-pressure areas, the stronger the wind.
As a result of the Coriolis effect , Earth's rotation from west to east also influences the direction of wind. To visualize the Coriolis effect, imagine you and a friend are trying to roll a ball to each other while sitting apart on a moving merry-go-round (see Figure 8-4).
Process Diagram
Figure zoom Figure 8-4 Coriolis effect
A playground merry-go-round (seen from above) demonstrates the Coriolis effect. The turning of the merry-go-round represents the rotation of Earth. The center of the merry-go-round corresponds to the North or South Pole, and the outer edge to the equator. The basketball shows the motion of atmospheric and ocean currents.

The atmosphere has three prevailing winds-major surface winds that blow more or less continually (see Figure 8-3). Prevailing winds from the northeast near the North Pole, or from the southeast near the South Pole, are polar easterlies. Winds that blow in the middle latitudes from the southwest in the Northern Hemisphere, or from the northwest in the Southern Hemisphere, are westerlies. Tropical winds from the northeast in the Northern Hemisphere, or from the southeast in the Southern Hemisphere, are trade winds.
Concept Check
What gases make up the atmosphere?
What two layers of the atmosphere are closest to Earth's surface? How do they differ?
What is the Coriolis effect, and how does it influence atmospheric circulation?

Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Inc. All rights reserved.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Seanna replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Rocky, and thanks for using Just Answer again! I have the chart completed and I have the essay portion about
Please let me know if you still need this answer. Thanks,

Angela
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i would love to use your answer but the site keeps refusing my cardi cant add any funds to pay anyone and this is pissing me off
Expert:  Seanna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I will ask our moderators to contact you and hopefully they can assist you. Thanks,

Angela
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Seanna replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Seanna, Tutor
Experience: 3,000+ satisfied customers, all topics, A+ work