Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

Why do you think that Carly didnt come to you sooner to discuss

Customer Question

Why do you think that Carly didn't come to you sooner to discuss the project delays?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Susan Athena replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Jocelyn. Welcome to JustAnswer.

It looks like there might be some other reading material related to this problem. Could you please post the statement of the situation?

Kind regards,
Susan Athena
The Homework Lady
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks in advance for your help. Below is what's needed to answer the question.

You are the supervisor for a large technology-based corporation. One of your subordinate managers, Carly, is heading up a project for a new system that is scheduled to market on the 1st of the year. It is August and things are not progressing at the pace you had hoped.

When you meet with Carly, all she does is complain about one of the team members, Morris. She exclaims that Morris is always contradicting her and disagreeing with her in front of the entire team. Nothing is getting done because there is this constant tension. Carly continues saying that he is acting like this because he feels that he is smarter than she is - he has a higher-level degree than she does.

When you ask if she has had a conversation with him about it, she says no. She feels that no matter what she says or does, he simply will not listen.

Later that day, you schedule a meeting with both Carly and Morris. After meeting with both parties and talking to other team members, it is obvious that Carly was exaggerating her story. As it turns out, Morris is treated unfairly as compared to the rest of the team. The other team members seem to think that Carly feels threatened by the team member.

1. Why do you think that Carly didn't come to you sooner to discuss the project delays?
  2. Why do you think Carly hasn't had a conversation with Morris, or vice versa, about their differences? How do you think each of them would respond to this type of conversation? Explain.
  3. What is the biggest problem with the way these team members interact? What could they do to remedy the problem? Explain.
  4. Do you think Carly should continue to serve as Project Manager? Explain.
  5. How would you begin to address this situation? Come up with a plan to remedy this problem and outline a plan for getting the project back on track for the January 1 release.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
MGT110-0804B-06 Project Management
Assignment Name: Unit 4 Individual Project
Deliverable Length: 3-5 pages
Details:

Hi, Jocelyn. Thanks for the further information. I won't be able to help you with this one, but will notify some of the other experts who may have project management experience.

Kind regards,
Susan Athena