Amanda Bickerstaff
Amanda Bickerstaff, Teacher
Experience:  High school teacher, writer, adminstrator, and fellowship doctoral student.
12227566

mentoring and induction programs

What kind of support is available for new teachers that participate in mentoring and induction programs? What do these two programs lack and what kinds of additional features would improve these programs?

Hi rgauvin,

I hope you are well. I will be happy to help you with this. How many words should this be?

Amanda

Here you go...if these need to be longer just give me a heads up.

Thank you,

Amanda

What kind of support is available for new teachers that participate in mentoring and induction programs?

Mentoring and induction programs are ways that school districts bridge the gap between beginning teachers and the school system. These programs focus on collaboration between beginning teachers with veteran teachers that are known for their competence and quality. Program features include curriculum development, in-service teaching, professional development, teaching demonstrations, and teaching observations. Mentoring programs extend after the beginning induction programs and pair experienced educators with a new teacher from 1-3 years. Mentoring programs are supposed to supplement the first years of teaching by giving new teachers additional support from educators, whom do not have the ability to negatively affect the new teacher.

What do these two programs lack and what kinds of additional features would improve these programs?

One of the main problems with teacher induction and mentoring programs is that the information being taught in the programs do not always align with what is being taught in the classroom. Some programs teach new educators how to deal with perfect classrooms, but do not teach the educators how to deal with realistic, non-utopian classrooms. Additional features like technology training, national and state standard training, as well as more access to regular school year classrooms for observation would improve these programs. For these programs to make a continued improvement of teacher retention rates and success more funding needs to be afforded to these programs in all states.

I just wanted to remind you that your queston has been answered.

I hope you are well.

Amanda

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry I was out at my daughter's cheer practice. Yes, sorry there is a minumum of 1000 - 1200 word but there are other questions that are included with it.

Do you need more information for the questions that I already answered? Would you like some references so that you can extend the answers?

Amanda

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No I don't think I need anymore information on what you answered, but yes references will be needed as I have to reference APA style. Could you help with the other questions? There are four other questions but I only need help with 2 of them.

Here are the references that I used.

http://www.wested.org/online_pubs/tchrbrief.pdf

http://www.aascu.org/policy_matters/pdf/v3n10.pdf

http://www.ride.ri.gov/EducatorQuality/mentoring.aspx

I would be more than happy to help you with the other questions.

Amanda

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much. The other two questions are, Are mentoring and induction programs equally effective? As a paraprofessional, what will your role be in a mentoring and/or induction program?

Do you want to repost these questions separately? Or do you just want to add a bonus for these questions?

I will have them for you in a bit.

Amanda

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was going to add a bonus if that is ok with you?

Sounds perfect.

Amanda

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. I appreciate all your help.