Greg
Greg, Research Scientist
Experience:  10 years as a Research Scientist in Physics
11057425

Read the following sentences, and focus on the grammar area

Customer Question

Read the following sentences, and focus on the grammar area specified in the left column. Then, complete Appendix H by selecting the correct sentence (a or b) for each number and providing an explanation of why you made that choice.
Subject-verb agreement
1a. Did you know a famous animal-rights activist has criticized horseracing because of the dangers involved?
1b. Did you know a famous animal-rights activist have criticized horseracing because of the dangers involved?
Subject-verb agreement
2a. Peer editing academic papers require critical-thinking skills and diplomacy.
2b. Peer editing academic papers requires critical-thinking skills and diplomacy.
Subject-verb agreement
3a. Vitamins that are sold in a health-food store are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.
3b. Vitamins that are sold in a health-food store is not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.
Using regular and irregular verbs
4a. John has become a rather good actor.
4b. John has became a rather good actor.
Using regular and irregular verbs
5a. Some athletes have taken drug tests to prove they are not on steroids.
5b. Some athletes have took drug tests to prove they are not on steroids.
Using regular and irregular verbs
6a. I lay my book on the table, but now I cannot find it.
6b. I laid my book on the table, but now I cannot find it.
Using the correct form of be and have in the present tense
7a. I was interested in working on the presidential campaign if the opportunity still exists.
7b. I am interested in working on the presidential campaign if the opportunity still exists.
Verb form and verb tense
8a. Since American Idol premiered on television, many talented contestants have appeared on the show.
8b. Since American Idol premiered on television, many talented contestants appeared on the show.
Verb form and verb tense
9a. The ancient Egyptians built pyramids as burial sites for their leaders.
9b. The ancient Egyptians have built pyramids as burial sites for their leaders.
Identifying antecedents
10a. The antecedent in the following sentence is students: Students in online classes have to be organized to keep up with their assignments.
10b. The antecedent in the following sentence is class: Students in online classes have to be organized to keep up with their assignments.
Identifying antecedents
11a. The antecedent in the following sentence is Doctors: Doctors should schedule more time for patients so they do not spend so much time in the waiting room.
11b. The antecedent in the following sentence is patients: Doctors should schedule more time for patients so they do not spend so much time in the waiting room.
Pronoun-antecedent agreement
12a. When a driver wants to buy a new vehicle, he or she usually test drives them.
COM 150
12b. When a driver wants to buy a new vehicle, he or she usually test drives it.
Pronoun-antecedent agreement
13a. Most presenters spoke without looking at his or her notes.
13b. Most presenters spoke without looking at their notes.
Pronoun-antecedent agreement
14a. You may rent a movie or a video game for just one night if they are new.
14b. You may rent a movie or a video game for just one night if it is new.
Pronoun-antecedent agreement with indefinite pronouns
15a. Neither the mayor nor the council members have filed their reports.
15b. Neither the mayor nor the council members have filed his reports.
16a. Anyone who requests a copy of the game may have it for their video library.
16b. Anyone who requests a copy of the game may have it for his or her video library.
17a. Each of the applicants must submit his or her completed form to the interviewer.
17b. Each of the applicants must submit their completed forms to the interviewer.
Pronoun case
18a. My brother knows more about technology than me.
18b. My brother knows more about technology than I.
Pronoun case
19a. Please send an invitation to Bob and she.
19b. Please send an invitation to Bob and her.
Pronoun case
20a. My best friend and I are going to Hawaii this summer.
20b. My best friend and me are going to Hawaii this summer.
Pronoun case for who and whom
21a. Who was the star of last year’s award-winning movie?
21b. Whom was the star of last year’s award-winning movie?
Pronoun case for who and whom
22a. To who should we send the letter of commendation?
22b. To whom should we send the letter of commendation?
Pronoun case for who and whom
23a. Jon Bon Jovi, who is a well-known singer and actor, also owns an arena football team.
23b. Jon Bon Jovi, whom is a well-known singer and actor, also owns an arena football team.
Vague pronouns
24a. When the car hit a tree, it made a terrible noise.
24b. The car made a terrible noise as it crashed into a tree.
Vague pronouns
25a. Air pollution normally increases along with population growth. This increasing pollution is a big problem for many cities.
25b. Air pollution normally increases along with population growth. This is a big problem for many cities.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Greg replied 6 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Greg, Research Scientist
Experience: 10 years as a Research Scientist in Physics
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much Greg!!