Nicki
Nicki, Teacher
Experience:  6 years teaching experience, Master Degree in Curriculum, Major in History, Experienced Researcher
11298007

What are the similarities and differences between ...

What are the similarities and differences between promotional push strategies and promotional pull strategies? What is an example of a situation in which an organization would use a push strategy? What is an example of a situation in which an organization would use a pull strategy?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Nicki replied 6 years ago.

The similarities between the push/pull promotional strategies are that:

1. They both involve advertising and product development

2. The end result (hopefully) for both is that they both strive to sell as many products to the consumer as possible.

The differences are:

1. Push strategy takes an already existing product and pushes it onto the consumer through many different advertising and marketing approaches. An example of this is perfume samples (scented blots on cardboard) that are shoved in magazines. This is pushing an existing product directly onto the consumer. This occurs when production is high and demand is consistent.

2. Pull strategy takes aim at consumers that are ready and waiting for a product to be produced. I recall the Cabbage Patch Kid craze of the mid 1980's. Everyone wanted that doll, and the company that produced them didn't have to do much in the way of advertising because the product was snatched off the shelf as soon as it became available. When demand is high for a product, or production is limited. Manufacturers can use this approach and fill specific orders.

Let me know if you have any further questions and good luck!

Nicki, Teacher
Experience: 6 years teaching experience, Master Degree in Curriculum, Major in History, Experienced Researcher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nicki can you help me on this one as well? If sales promotion spending continues to grow often at the expense of media advertising how do we think this might affect the rates charged by mass media for advertising time or space? How do we think it might affect advertising agencies?
Expert:  Nicki replied 6 years ago.
Sales promotions are the gimmicks that marketers use to make their products more sellable. Some examples are rebates, happy hours, posters of celebrities near the product, etc. If more is spent on these items, then certainly the media will be charging more money for space for the advertisements. A ripple effect will likely occur and ad agencies will certainly charge more money for time and resources spent creating these gimmicks.
Nicki, Teacher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Nicki...I appreciate your answer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nicky I need more information to meet my word count...I am about 75 words short...what do you think?
Expert:  Nicki replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry that I didn't get this until this morning, I signed off after my last answer last night. Can you please give me more info about what you need to include? Have you included some insight about supply/demand and price?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nicky no worries I completed the question last night...I have this one next...
What is a distribution channel? What is the relationship between channels of distribution and logistics? How does geographical location affect your selection of distribution channels? If you can help me on this one I will appreciate it...If not is okay...
Expert:  Nicki replied 6 years ago.

A distribution channel is the chain that a product goes through from production to consumer. Most manufacturers do not sell directly to the consumer, the product usually goes first to a distributor, then to the retailer (store) then the consumer.

Think of purchasing airline tickets on a site like travelocity. Travelocity is the distributor, selling the product from the company (the airline), kind of making them the "middleman" in the sale of the product or service. This is an example of the product going through the distribution channel.

Geographical location affects selection greatly. If a product is made at a factory in Mexico and, of course the end result is to get the product into the hands of the paying customer, then distributors will be carefully selected most likely near the border in Texas. This cuts down on shipping and makes more financial sense to choose a distributor that is nearest the product. It is then the job of the distributor to get the product to a retailer and then to the customer.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Nicki's Post: Thank you Nicky!