Alex
Alex, Tutor
Experience:  Tutoring college students since 1996. MS in CompSci 1996, MS in Math 2001.

Need the answers to Penn Foster exam 00603000

I need the answers to the Penn Foster electrical course exam number 00603000 which is "Wiring Electrical Components, Part 2". It's 20 questions.

I'd like Ms Chase to answer if possible, please! Thank you!
Category: Homework
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
Hello Doku

I don't have those answers, but what I would like you to do is to post the questions and the answer choices and if I can't complete it, I will see if I can find someone here that can. Ok?

Chase
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sure! Here it is. Let me know what you think. Thank you!

1. If you measure 20 feet between an existing box and a new box location, you should cut a piece of cable with a length of approximately
A. 20 to 21 ft.
B. 25 to 26 ft.
C. 40 to 42 ft.
D. 48 to 55 ft.
2. When a device is removed from an outlet box, the _______ wire must be connected in such a way that maintains continuity.
A. neutral
B. grounding
C. hot
D. grounded neutral
3. To correctly saw a lath and plaster wall, point the teeth of the saw
A. away from you and cut on the pushing stroke.
B. away from you and cut on the pulling stroke.
C. toward you and cut on the pushing stroke.
D. toward you and cut on the pulling stroke.
4. The labor performed when you extend an existing electrical system is called
A. old work.
B. repair work.
C. troubleshooting.
D. faultfinding.
5. The basement in an existing building has concrete walls, a concrete floor, and a concrete ceiling. From this information, you know that receptacles, lamp fixtures, and switches
A. can't be installed in this basement as there is no way to ground the circuit.
B. won't require ground-circuit protection because concrete insulates the occupants from ground.
C. can be installed in the basement and circuit wiring enclosed in a surface raceway system.
D. can only be installed if they're connected with armored cable.
6. Which of the following tests must be performed on a
de-energized circuit?
A. Power test
B. Continuity test
C. Voltage test
D. Current test
7. Each outside receptacle must be protected by
A. a GFCI.
B. its own ground rod.
C. a single- or double-pole switch.
D. its own circuit.
8. A circuit consists of five unequal loads connected in parallel. To measure the resistance through one specific load, you must
A. remove power from the circuit and measure the load's resistance in its installed location.
B. apply power to the circuit, disconnect the load from the circuit, and measure the load's resistance.
C. apply power to the circuit, measure the overall circuit resistance, and divide this value by five.
D. remove power from the circuit, disconnect the load from the circuit, and measure the load's resistance.
9. When new work is being performed, an outlet box must have a minimum depth of
A. 1 in.
B. 11/2 in.
C. 2 in.
D. 21/2 in.
10. When new outlets are being added to the first floor of a two-story house with an unfinished basement, the easiest route for running cable is usually
A. behind the wall.
B. behind the baseboard.
C. by way of the second floor.
D. by way of the basement.
11. When an aluminum conductor is installed on a screw terminal, the screw should be tightened to a torque of
A. 8 lb-in.
B. 12 lb-in.
C. 15 lb-in.
D. 20 lb-in.
12. A fixed electric space heater that draws a maximum current of _______ must be supplied by a cable with an ampacity of
30 A.
A. 15 A
B. 24 A
C. 27 A
D. 30 A
13. If a fixed appliance has an automatically started motor and is supplied by an individual branch circuit, the protection recommended is equal to or less than
A. twice the appliance rated current.
B. 125 percent of the appliance rated current.
C. the appliance rated current.
D. the full service current.
14. Which of the following is a true statement about the planning stages of adding a receptacle to an existing electrical system?
A. You must ensure that the existing circuit breaker will have enough capacity to handle the expected load to be applied at the new receptacle.
B. It's not acceptable to bring power from an existing box containing a light switch.
C. Only nongrounding-type receptacles can be added to an existing system.
D. It isn't necessary to identify joist or stud locations prior to adding a new receptacle.
15. When installing cable behind a wall, it's recommended to run the cable behind the baseboard rather than through the studs when the
A. fish tape can't be utilized.
B. wall is plasterboard.
C. wall studs are less than 16 inches apart.
D. wall is plaster or lath.
16. A device box with supports is the best choice when installing a
A. device box mounted in an existing drywall-covered wall.
B. device box in a lath ceiling.
C. device box that's to be attached to a bar hanger.
D. shallow device box in either new or existing walls.
17. A transformer that's used with a doorbell has a fixed output of
A. 1 V.
B. 10 V.
C. 60 V.
D. 120 V.
18. A suitable disconnecting means for a fixed appliance is a
A. pigtail cord.
B. light switch that interrupts the hot wire.
C. circuit breaker.
D. two-pole switch that interrupts the common wire.
19. The most efficient way to troubleshoot a defective electrical circuit is to start by
A. replacing the components that you believe are faulty.
B. having the power company evaluate the entire system's operating efficiency.
C. breaking down a multiple-circuit system into isolated circuits to be evaluated one at a time.
D. bypassing the system's main disconnect to ensure continuous power.
20. After routing cable from an existing device box through a wall and pulling the cable into a new box, your next step is to
A. replace the existing receptacle with a higher-capacity device.
B. apply power to the circuit.
C. strip and connect the wires to the existing receptacle.
D. tighten the internal cable clamps in the new box.
Expert:  Ms Chase replied 6 years ago.
We have an electrical category, and I'm going to move it to that category as they would best know the answers to these types of questions. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Chase
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please do. Thanks, I'm pretty new to this!
Expert:  Alex replied 6 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Alex, Tutor
Experience: Tutoring college students since 1996. MS in CompSci 1996, MS in Math 2001.