The Professor
The Professor, Taught at USC Years Ago
Experience:  Engineering Degree, Tutoring Experience, USC Faculty (Retired)
2837397

Question I hope you can help

Customer Question

Question I hope you can help :
GPS and GIS can be used in all sorts of devices, in many different industries, for multiple purposes. You want to compete, and win first prize, in the StrayerVention this year. Create a product, using a GPS or GIS, that is not currently in the market today that you will present at the first annual StrayerVention.
Thanks in advance.
Hugo
Category: Homework
Expert:  The Professor replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like you are asking for a conceptual answer. Here is a system I would actually like to see!

************

Real estate appraisers, tax assessors, and county tax sale bidders sometimes only have a legal description to help them find a given undeveloped property. Professional land surveyors also need a way to approach undeveloped property to minimze their survey planning time.

A typical legal description for undeveloped property will read like this:

"North half of Section 2, Township 11 North Range 15 East, San Bernardino Base and Meridian, 320 acres more or less"

To understand this legal description, you need to know that a Section is a square mile, and every 6x6 square miles makes up a Township (north or south of) and a range (east or west of) a given baseline (an east-west line) and meridian (a north-south line).

So Section 2 is the second square mile in the group of six square miles 66 miles (six times 11) north of the San Bernardino base line and 90 miles (six time 15) east of the San Bernardino meridian.

The system I am inventing will take as input the township and range legal description, and show the user a conventional map, and then give directions on how to get to the corners of the property the same way existing systems do.

The key here is to link the township and range system directly with existing mapping systems and automate finding the corners to GPS accuracy.

No existing system does this, although the township and range system is shown on the paper Thomas Maps in the Western US.

*********

We will win the StrayerVention prize with this!
The Professor, Taught at USC Years Ago
Experience: Engineering Degree, Tutoring Experience, USC Faculty (Retired)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Before the Question:
Weather Bots:
Warren Jackson, an engineering graduate student at the University of Pennsylvania, was not interested in the weather until he started investigating how the National Weather Service collected weather data. The weather service has collected most of its information using weather balloons that carry a device to measure items like pressure, wind, and humidity. When the balloon reaches about 100,000 feet and pressure causes it to pop, the device falls and lands a substantial distance from its launch point. The National Weather Service and researchers sometimes look for the $200 device, but of the 80,000 sent up annually, they write-off many as lost.
Convinced there had to be a better way, Jackson began designing a GPS-equipped robot that launches a parachute after the balloon pops, and brings the device back down to Earth, landing it at a predetermined location set by the researchers. The idea is so inventive that the Penn’s Weiss Tech House – a university organization that encourages students to innovate and bring their ideas to market – awarded Jackson and some fellow graduate engineering student’s first prize in its third annual PennVention Contest. Jackson won $5,000, and access to expert advice on prototyping, legal matters, and branding.

Question:      
I understand the example given before the question. But the question itself asks "Create a product, using a GPS or GIS, that is not currently in the market today ".

The product I have outlined meets the question's criteria.

But if you are not OK with my response, let me know, and I will Opt Out, thereby letting other Experts have a chance at your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Proffesor, I feel happy and impress with your work. Many thanks.
Hugo
p.s.
I hope we will win the StrayerVention prize with this!
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.