Neo
Neo, Tutor
Experience:  BS Accounting

Critical Thinking home work

Claims and Arguments Quiz
(See related pages)

1     

Which of the following statements concerning the nature of critical thinking is most accurate?

A)
Critical thinking is about helping others and ourselves.

B)
Critical thinking is about helping others.

C)
Critical thinking is about attacking others.

D)
Critical thinking is about self debasement.

2     

Which of the following most accurately completes this sentence? "A claim is a statement that is..."

A)
true.

B)
false.

C)
either true or false, but not both.

D)
true and false, depending on the context.

3     

Which of the following sentences is not a claim?

A)
Life exists on planets other than Earth.

B)
Dare to stay off drugs!

C)
Something's force equals its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

D)
Joe owns a pet dog.

4     

Which of the following best completes this sentence? "When a sentence has a truth value, we mean that it..."

A)
is either true or false, even if we cannot necessarily determine which it is.

B)
is false.

C)
is true.

D)
is neither true nor false.

5     

Which of the following is a good way to state an issue in neutral terms?

A)
Turn the claim that one party accepts and the other party rejects into a question.

B)
Place the word "if" in front of the claim that one party accepts and the other party rejects.

C)
Place the words "it is possible that" in front of the claim that one party accepts and the other party rejects.

D)
Place the word "whether" in front of the claim that one party accepts and the other party rejects.

6     

Generally speaking, which of these statements best represents the relationship between issues and topics of conversation?

A)
A topic of conversation often has several issues at stake.

B)
An issue often has several topics of conversation at stake.

C)
A topic never contains issues.

D)
An issue just is a topic.

7     

Which of the following offers the best identification of "abortion"?

A)
It is a topic of conversation.

B)
It is a claim.

C)
It is an issue.

D)
It is an argument

8     

An argument comprises which of the following?

A)
At least a premise.

B)
At least a conclusion.

C)
At least two premises and a conclusion.

D)
At least one premise and one conclusion.

9     

It is fair to say that the word "claim" and the word "sentence" have exactly the same meaning.

A)
True

B)
False

10     

It is fair to say that critical thinking is mainly concerned with the determination of whether to accept, reject, or suspend judgment about claims.

A)
True

B)
False

11     

In order to have an "issue" there must be a dispute between at least two parties.

A)
True

B)
False

12     

It is fair to say that an issue and a topic of conversation are the same thing.

A)
True

B)
False

13     

Critical thinking is concerned with both facts and opinions.

A)
True

B)
False

14     

It is fair to say that any controversial matter is subjective.

A)
True

B)
False

15     

It is fair to conclude that beliefs, opinions, views, and convictions are essentially the same things.

A)
True

B)
False

Subjectivism and Value Judgments Quiz
(See related pages)

Your Results:
The correct answer for each question is indicated by a .

1
Which of the following illustrates the key difference between subjective and non-subjective issues?
A) A non-subjective issue has generally accepted criteria that can be used to judge it while a subjective issue does not.
B) A non-subjective issue is true while a subjective issue is false.
C) Though subjective and non-subjective issues are both based on claims (matters of fact), non-subjective issues are concerned only with claims whose truth values can actually be determined.
D) There is no key difference between subjective and non-subjective issues.

2
When you encounter the word "since" in a sentence you should generally conclude that it is acting as which of the following?
A) A conclusion indicator
B) An argument indicator
C) A premise indicator
D) A propositional indicator

3
Which of the following is true of non-subjective issues?
A) When two people disagree about a matter of fact, both can be correct.
B) When two people disagree about a matter of fact, at least one is wrong.
C) When two people disagree about a matter of fact, neither is ever correct and a third opinion is needed.
D) When two people disagree about a matter of fact, there's always something correct in each of their arguments.

4
Which of the following statements is most accurate?
A) Claims about factual matters are neither objective nor subjective.
B) Claims about factual matters can be either objective or subjective depending on the truth value of the claim in question.
C) Claims about factual matters are also known as subjective claims.
D) Claims about factual matters are also known as non-subjective (i.e. objective) claims.

5
A) Claims about matters of pure opinion can be either non-subjective (i.e. objective) or subjective depending on the truth value of the claim in question.
B) Claims about matters of pure opinion are also known as subjective claims.
C) Claims about matters of pure opinion are also known as non-subjective (i.e. objective) claims.
D) Claims about matters of pure opinion are usually a mixture of subjective and objective claims.

6
Which of the following is true of claims about moral issues?
A) They are subjective claims.
B) They are non-subjective (i.e. objective) claims.
C) Whether such claims are subjective or non-subjective (i.e. objective) is a matter of philosophical debate.
D) Whether such claims are subjective or non-subjective (i.e. objective) is a matter to be decided by committee.

7
Based on your understanding of the text, which of the following do you think is most accurate?
A) We are not all entitled to our opinions.
B) We are entitled to our opinions and should stay true to them by not considering any one else's opinion.
C) We are all entitled to our own opinions and all opinions are equal.
D) Though we are all entitled to our opinions, not all opinions are equal.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Neo replied 6 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Neo, Tutor
Experience: BS Accounting