viki
viki, Item Writer
Experience:  I have eleven years experience writing statewide educational tests for grades K-12.
1680453

Which one of the following statements is correct

Customer Question

.   Which one of the following statements is correct?

A. Stalagmites are narrower than stalactites.
     B. Stalagmites form on the ceiling of a cavern.

C. Stalagmites are formed from water containing salt.

D. Stalagmites are cone-shaped deposits.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Skydanzer replied 9 years ago.

Hello. In the choices you have given, there is more than one possible correct answer. Are you sure you don't need to know which one is incorrect? B is definitely incorrect. Stalagmites form on the floor of the cave and grow upward. They will be in pairs with, and directly under the stalactites. Water dripping from the stalactite starts a build up that will be come the stalagmite. D is also correct because they are most always cone shaped. A could be correct or not, depending on how long both have been forming. C is sort of "iffy". The water may have salt in it but that's not what is needed, nor is it the main ingredient. The formations are formed in limestone caves when water with acids in it seeps through, dissolves the limestone, then it re-solidifies as the drops dry out. Here is a link that may be of some further help. Click here: Stalactites and Stalagmites Let me know if you need anything else. Patricia

Expert:  viki replied 9 years ago.

Hi-

World Geography 6648 answers:

6648:

1D
2D
3A
4A
5C
6B
7B
8A
9C
10A
11A
12C
13D
14B
15A
16B
17B
18A
19C
20A

Expert:  Skydanzer replied 9 years ago.
One of my esteemed colleagues has informed me the correct answer should be D. However, I'm still not sure how exactly right that can be since both formations are basically, cone shaped in appearance. They tend to be "fatter" where they are attached, be it the floor or the ceiling of the cage, and both taper off to sharper points. Let us know if you need something else. Patricia
Expert:  viki replied 9 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.