E Murray
E Murray, Teacher
Experience:  BSc (Mathematics and Physics), Dip tchg, Dip ICT Ed,Experienced teacher, Educational author
3108889

1. What is a biodiversity hotspot How does Madagascar ...

1. What is a biodiversity hotspot? How does Madagascar qualify?

2. How has human interaction disturbed the ecosystem in Madagascar?

3. Why should we be concerned about the ecosystem of Madagascar?

4. What do you think can (or should) be done to halt or reverse the problem in Madagascar and around the world?
Category: Homework
Expert:  E Murray replied 6 years ago.
Hello jchui

A biodiversity hotspot is a region where there is a large number of unique species which are threatened. Madagascar qualifies as it has 11,600endemic plant species, 57 species of threatened birds, 51 species of threatened mammals ( including the famous lemurs ) and 61 species of threatened amphibians. About 45 species on the Island have become extinct, more than 15 of these since human settlement.

Considering it's small land area, Madagascar has a large number of unique biozones. Humans have interferred with many of these including:
  • Clearing of forests in the central highlands for agriculture and farming.
  • Slash and burn clearing in western Madagascar (eg. Isalo region)
  • Destruction of rainforest - most of the eastern rainforest has been destroyed
  • Destructrion of deciduous forests- much of the western deciduous forest has been destroyed.

There are many endemic and unique species in Madagascar, These should be preserved fof the following reasons.
  1. Loss of one species in an ecosystem has an effect on many others. eg consider the basic food chain plant ----->herbivore----> carnivore.If a plant species is destroyed, the herbivores will either reduce in number (due to starvation) or change their diet tot different plants (This will result in disruption of another ecosystem or destruction of crops.)If a carnivore becomes extinct, herbivores can become out of control causing a lot of damage to wild and farmland as well as causing erosion. If the herbivores are eliminated, the carnivores will find alternative meat possibly including pets or people (This is occuring for the North American Mountain lion.)
  2. Loss of biodiversity means loss of species which may serve a valuable purpose in future. eg plants which may have medicinal properties
  3. Loss of biodiversity reduces the unique aestetic value of the region.

Some or all of the following steps should be taken.
  • Regions in each biome should be set aside as reserves
  • Farming methods which require less land (eg hydroponics. terraced farming) should be investgated and implemented if appropriate.
  • Wildlife should be monitored so that those under the most threat can be protected.
  • Reclaim some lost habitat by replanting native species and reducing or eliminating introduced species.
  • Find marketable products from the native species to encourage farmers to grow them.

E Murray, Teacher
Experience: BSc (Mathematics and Physics), Dip tchg, Dip ICT Ed,Experienced teacher, Educational author
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you online? I have questions.
Expert:  E Murray replied 6 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying 3 €.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i did posted my questions. can you take a look? thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi, can you my question that I have posted online?
1. What are the four types of respiratory organs? What are the advantages to each?
2. Pollution has a significant impact on the respiratory health of humans, how might it impact the respiratory health of organisms with different respiratory organs?
1. A comparison of the nutritional information for each sandwich. Suggested format: show the nutritional information in chart form followed by comments on the similarities and differences.

2. Answer the following questions:
As part of a healthy diet, which sandwich would you choose and why?
What are the potential health risks of eating fast food in a regular basis?