Brandi
Brandi, Tutor
Experience:  I have over 10 years of experience tutoring at the high school and college level.
6906264

What was the spoils system and what was its purpose

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Homework
Expert:  Brandi replied 9 years ago.

The spoils system is the practice of giving appointed offices to supporters of the political party that is in power as opposed to the merit system which fills positions based on ability.

John Quincy Adams used this system because supporters of the out going party that were still in these positions held grudges and sabotaged the efforts of the new party. He was quoted for saying " On such appointment all the wormwood and gall of the old party hatred squeezed out."

If you need additional information please let me know and I will be happy to help you Smile

Expert:  Brandi replied 9 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.