The Professor
The Professor, Taught at USC Years Ago
Experience:  Engineering Degree, Tutoring Experience, USC Faculty (Retired)
2837397

Write a composition using one of the topics listed below.

Your composition should be three to five
paragraphs long. It should contain an introduction, a body, and a conclusion.

A. Argue for or against the elimination of speed limits.

B. Explain why a certain sport is your favorite.

C. Compare and contrast driving in the winter and driving in the summer.

D. Analyze the best way to buy a car, mow a lawn, or prepare a meal.

E. Describe a memorable day in your life.
My favorite sport is the ancient Japanese traditional sumo. Two men stand in a 13-foot diameter circle and try to push each other out of the circle, or get their opponent to touch the ground with a part of the body other than their feet. No punches, hair pulling, or eye gouging is allowed. It is, however, allowed to grab your opponent's belt for better leverage.

There are a number of rituals and traditions involved in sumo. Salt is thrown to "purify" the ring. Salt is tasted to remind each rikishi of the bitterness of training and discipline. Water is sipped before each bout, but the person who hands each rikishi their water has to have won a prior match.

It is not the ritual aspect of sumo that is so fascinating. There are about 80 recognized techniques to win a sumo match. The rikishi range in weight from about 275 pounds to over 500 pounds. One would think that the larger man would have an insurmountable advantage, but that's not the case.

In fact, the best rikishi today, based on their won-lost record, are smaller men. Technique is the major factor that decides most sumo matches. There are some 900 men in professional Japanese sumo. Only about forty positions are available in the top sumo ranks. A rikishi's rank rises and falls based on their record in bi-monthly round robin tournaments. A good quick smaller man will defeat a larger opponent most of the time. It is a fascinating sport.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your response! Before I accept, I want to make sure this composition is original and not copied from another source. I am going to accept it regardless because it is helpful either way, but if it was copied, I want to know so I can change it up a little.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for everything!