Chris Parker
Chris Parker, Problem Solver
Experience:  Master of Computer Applications (MCA). BSc in Mathematics, Physics, and Computer Science.
4769983

1. a)The element Astatine, At, is rare, highly radioactive ...

Customer Question

1. a)The element Astatine, At, is rare, highly radioactive and therefore highly unstable. What is the chemical formula of the compound it would form with Sodium?
b) Why does Lithium have a larger first ionization energy than Sodium?
c) The difference between the second and third ionization energies of Calcium[Ca] is much greater than the difference between the second and third ionization energies of Scandium [Sc]. Why?
d) There is evidence of the existence of an element with an atomic # XXXXX 126. Predict the electron configuration of this element. Express you answer using a "condensed" configuration.(I think this answer is 126[118] 5g4 6f14 7d6 8s2 I may be wrong though and I can't afford to be!)
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris Parker replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer

a) Sodium Astatide is the compound that Astatine forms with Sodium. The chemical formula for Sodium Astatide is NaAt.

b) Sodium atom has 11 protons, whereas Lithium has only three, so the nuclear charge of Sodium is much greater. Though Sodium has a greater nuclear charge, it is offsetted by a greater distance from the nucleus and more screening, which lower the ionization energy, unlike the case of Lithium. So Lithium has a larger first ionization energy than Sodium.

c) I've already answered this in the other question.

d)
Unbihexium is the element with atomic number 126. It's electronic configuration is [Uuo] 5g6 8s2 or [118] 5g6 8s2. Uuo is Ununoctium.

Please remember to accept the answer, should you like it.

Regards,
Chris
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: While waiting foro the answer I ended up figuring it out myself, then my teacher told me it didn't matter b/c there were several answers for the question. So i didn't need the answer anymore
Are you referring to the electronic configuration question? Anyways, that's okay.