Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

I have several 7th grade science questions that I need ...

Customer Question

I have several 7th grade science questions that I need answers to quickly.
Category: Homework
Expert:  mathsmart replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

Please post them here and we will be happy to help you with them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
These are just a few...My daughter's book had to be turned in but these questions have to be complete.

Page 39
What characteristics of living things does a river have? Is a river alive?
What does the fur coat of a bear have to do with homeostasis?
How is reproduction related to heredity?
APPLYING CONCEPTS: What are some stimuli in your environment? How do you respond to these stimuli?

Page 41
Why are decomposers categorized as consumers? How do they differ from producers?
Why are most cells 70 percent water?
MAKING INFERENCES: Could life as we know it exist on Earth if air contained only oxygen? Explain.
INDENTIFYING RELATIONSHIPS: How might a cave, an ant, and a lake meet the needs of an organism?

Page 45
What are the subunits of proteins? Of starch? Of DNA?
What do carbohydrates, fats, and oils have in common?
Are all proteins enzymes? Explain your answer.
MAKING PREDICTIONS. What would happen to the supply of ATP I your cells if you did not eat enough carbohydrates? How would this affect your cells?

Page 60
Complete the following sentence: Cells are related to ____in the same way that _____ are related to organ systems.
How do the cells of unicellular organisms differ from the cells of mulicellular organisms?
APPLYING CONCEPTS: Use the picture of an aquarium below to answer the following questions:
     a. How many different kinds of organisms are visible?
     b. How many populations are visible?
     c. How many communities are visible?

Page 67
What are the three parts of the cell theory?
What do all cells have in common?
What are two advantages of being multicellular?
If a unicellular organism has a cell wall, ribosomes, and circular DNA, is the eukaryotic or prokaryotic?
APPLYING CONCEPTS: Which has the greater surface-to-volume ratio, a tennis ball or a basketball? Explain your answer. What could be done to increase the surface-volume-ratio of both?

How does the nucleus control the cell’s activities?
Which of the following would not be found in an animal cell: Mitochondria, cell wall, chloroplast, ribosome, endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi complex, large vacuole, DNA, chlorophyll?
Use the following words in a sentence: oxygen, ATP, breathing, and mitochondria.
APPLYING CONCEPTS: You have the job of giving new names to different things in a city. The new names have to be part of a eukaryotic cell. Write down some things you would see in a city. Assign the name of a cell part that is most appropriate to their function. Explain choices.

Page 89

During diffusion, how do particles move?
How does a cell take in large particles? How does a cell expel large particles?
MAKING INFERENCES: The transfer of glucose into a cell does not require ATP. What type of transport supplies a cell with glucose? Explain your answer.

Page 93

Why are producers important to the survival of all other organisms?
How do the processes of photosynthesis and cellular respiration relate to each other?
What does breathing have to do with cellular respiration?
How are respiration and fermentation similar? How are they different?
IDENTIFYING RELATIONSHIPS: In which cells would you expect to find the greater number of mitochondria: cells that are very active or cells that are not very active? Why?
Expert:  Dolly replied 7 years ago.

What is the name of the book?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dolly's Post: Holt Science & Technology, Tennessee Grade 7
ISBN 0-03-067997-4
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Page 97

How are binary fission and mitosis similar? How are they different?
Why is it important for chromosomes to be copied before cell division?
How does cytokinesis differ in animals and plants?
APPLYING CONCEPTS: What would happen if cytokinesis occurred without mitosis?

Page 279

Explain the relationship between cells, tissues, organs, and organ systems.
Compare the four kinds of tissue found in human body.
USING GRAPHICS: Make a chart that lists the major organ systems and their functions.
RELATING CONCEPTS: Describe a time when homeostasis was disrupted in your body. Which body systems do you think were affected?

Page 283

Describe four important functions of bones.
Draw a bone, and label the inside and outside structures. Use colored pencils to color and label spongy bone, blood vessels, marrow cavity, compact bone, and cartilage.
List three hinge joints in your body.
INTERPRETING MODELS: Study the models of levers picture in Figure 7. Use a small box (load), a ruler (bar), and a pencil (fulcrum) to create models of each type of lever.

Page 287

List three types of muscle tissue, and describe their functions in the body.
Compare aerobic exercise with resistance exercise, and give two examples of each.
APPLYING CONCEPTS: Describe the muscle action required to pick up a book. Make a sketch that illustrates the muscle action.

Page 291

Why does skin color vary from person to person?
List six structures found in the dermis and the function of each one.
MAKING INFERENCES: Why do you feel pain when you pull on your hair or nails but not when you cut them?

Page 331

How are precipitation, evaporation, and ground water involved in the water cycle?
Draw a simple diagram of the nitrogen cycle. Make sure you include how animals get nitrogen.
ANALYZING RELATIONSHIPS: How is decomposition related to the carbon cycle?

Page 335

Define succession.
Describe succession in an abandoned field.
APPLYING CONCEPTS: Explain why soil formation is always the first state of primary succession. Does soil formation stop when trees begin to grow? Why or why not?

Page 447

What is the difference between weather and climate?
How do mountains affect climate?
Describe how air temperature is affected by ocean surface currents.
ANALYZING RELATIONSHIPS: How would seasons be different if the Earth did not tilt on its axis?

Page 451

What are the soil characteristics of a tropical rain forest?
In what way has savanna vegetation adapted to fire?
SUMMARIZING DATA: How do each of the tropical biomes differ?

Page 456

Describe how tropical deserts and temperate deserts differ.
List and describe the three major climate zones.
INFERRING CONCLUSIONS: Rank each biome according to how suitable it would be for growing crops. Explain your reasoning.

Page 461

How has the Earth’s climate changed over time? What might have caused these changes?
Explain how the greenhouse effect warms the Earth.
What are two ways that humans contribute to the increase in carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere?
ANALYZING RELATIONSHIPS: How will the warming of the Earth affect agriculture in different parts of the world?