Ryan
Ryan, Tutor
Experience:  Bachelors of Science. Years of tutoring experience. 140+ Penn Foster exam keys.
795193

How did Oedipus cause his own downfall

Oedipus not know who his real father was, killed his father and married his mother as per predicated by the Oracles.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer!

Oedipus caused his own downfall because of his pride. He did not listen to Teiresias who warned him to not investigate Laius's death. Oedipus was too stubborn however, and continued on. This is a common theme in a lot of Aristotle like tragedies. Another argument could be made that Oedipus causes his own downfall simply because he doesn't know who he is. If anything, he was ignorant during his actions, while he was trying to uncover the past.

I hope this helps! If so, please don't forget to "Accept" my answer!

Regards,
Ryan

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Ryan's Post: Can you please expand by indicating where I can substantiate this

Do you mean you'd like references?

Regards,
Ryan

Here is an example:

Relating to Oedipus and his downfall resulting from not knowing who he was: Oedipus is described many, many times and wanting to "see". His curiousity in this case is not a vice, simply who he is because he doesn't know his past. This helps contribute to his downfall.

Is that what you had in mind?

Regards,
Ryan

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Ryan's Post: Yes - I need references/quotes to prove that he caused his own downfall. Quotes from the play. I need to write an 8 page report

Well, I don't have the play in front of me, and I think that is a little more than I want to chew off right now. I'll opt out of this question and give other Experts the chance to answer. They can work with what I already started for you.

Thanks,
Ryan

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I need references/and or quotes from the play to substantiate how Oedipus caused his own downfall by committing the crime of killing his real father and marrying his real mother as per forseen by the oracle. I have a 8 page report to write.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I still need help.
I need references/and or quotes from the play to substantiate how Oedipus caused his own downfall by committing the crime of killing his real father and marrying his real mother as per forseen by the oracle.