Alice, Teacher
Experience:  30 years exprience

steps to removing freon from a refrigerator

Customer Question

i need steps to removing freon from a refrigerator. the answer is important my husband is trying to get a job. so if you can help please email me back

Already Tried:
searching the web

Category: Homework
Expert:  Alice replied 9 years ago.

Freon in copper tubing open to the environment can turn into phosgene gas after coming in contact with extreme heat, such as while brazing or in a fire situation. Phosgene is a substance that was used as a chemical weapon in World War I. Low exposure can cause irritation, but high levels cause fluid to collect in the lungs, possibly resulting in death.

Because of the harmful effects to the ozone, it is illegal to release Freon gas into the atmosphere. Do you have Freon-containing appliances at the end of their useful life in your community? You will need to have a certified technician remove the Freon from appliances in your community before the appliances can be recycled/disposed of (which includes crushing and disposing of the appliances in your community, or backhauling them out). If the appliances are being backhauled to a recycling/disposal company, the “certification of removal” (a piece of paper) must be sent to the company along with the appliances to prove that the Freon was removed properly.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
he received his certificate from roanoke chowan college in 3/05. he's not trying to remove it he just needed the answer for the job that he's on.
he was certified with HVAC heating and AIR
Expert:  Alice replied 9 years ago.

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.