xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
94965

In experiments involving a pithball electroscope, what ...

Customer Question

In experiments involving a pithball electroscope, what causes the pithball to move?--The pith material always holds a natural positive charge, and it is attracted to the other charged objects,Electrons jump onto or off the neutral ball when a charged object comes close to it, causing it to become charged,The pithball does not become charged but it gets caught up between two other charged objects.
Category: Homework
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
This is a bit tricky. If the charged object touches the electroscope, charge is transferred, but if it is only brought close, a temporary polarisation of charge can occur.

I'll assume that the electroscope is touched, so the answer is:
Electrons jump onto or off the neutral ball...

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: Hi Xarqi i feel uneasy with this one also ,so i will take a fail on that one.But don't stop helping me with the other stuff. the bonnie