Joseph Barcus
Joseph Barcus, just a old man lol
Experience:  knows how to look things up on computer is about it
83467

Electrons and magnetic currents

Customer Question

Why is it that when electrons cut through wires a magnetic field is created? What causes this to happen? I have consulted many professors regaurding this issue who could not come to a conclusion. And while we're on the subject, what causes/creates/forms electricity? Please be as detailed in your response as possible. Thank you in advanced!

-XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Homework
Expert:  Dr. T replied 11 years ago.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field:

"Maxwell did much to unify static electricity and magnetism, producing a set of four equations relating the two fields. However, under Maxwell's formulation, there were still two distinct fields describing different phenomena. It was Albert Einstein who showed, using special relativity, that electric and magnetic fields are two aspects of the same thing (a rank-2 tensor), and that one observer may perceive a magnetic force where a moving observer perceives only an electrostatic force. Thus, using special relativity, magnetic forces are a manifestation of electrostatic forces of charges in motion and may be predicted from knowledge of the electrostatic forces and the movement (relative to some observer) of the charges.

A thought experiment one can do to show this is with two identical infinite and parallel lines of charge having no motion relative to each other but moving together relative to an observer. Another observer is moving alongside the two lines of charge (at the same velocity) and observes only electrostatic repulsive force and acceleration. The first or "stationary" observer seeing the two lines (and second observer) moving past with some known velocity also observes that the "moving" observer's clock is ticking more slowly (due to time dilation) and thus observes the repulsive acceleration of the lines more slowly than that which the "moving" observer sees. The reduction of repulsive acceleration can be thought of an attractive force, in a classical physics context, that reduces the electrostatic repulsive force and also that is increasing with increasing velocity. This pseudo-force is precisely the same as the electromagnetic force in a classical context."

An electric current is the movement of charge carriers, e.g., electrons in a wire. Charge carriers move in response to a force caused by the presence of an electric field. Electric charges such as electrons produce an electric field that can cause other charges to move. Changing magnetic fields also create electric fields.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr. T's Post: We all know that a moving electron creates a magnetic field. We all know that a magnetic field cutting a wire moves electrons. We are trying to find out WHY this happens. We all know it happens, but why? Why? Why? Why?
Expert:  Dr. T replied 11 years ago.
Hmm. I thought the second paragraph really nailed it nicely; and not an equation in sight. Before we can continue, how is your background in Special Relativity? Are you familiar with time dilation?
Expert:  Joseph Barcus replied 11 years ago.
i feel its because of the earths rotation of its magnetic field is why a motor works the way it does, i just spend 15 min typing up a big thing than to find out i got booted and lost it all
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.