xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
94965

English Homework

Customer Question

Part I: True or False

1.       The following word group is a FRAGMENT: Driving through the countryside in her new car.

__True

__False

2.       The following word group is a FRAGMENT: Polishing the car, and making sure it looked good.

__True

__False

3.       The following word group is a FRAGMENT: Shining a light under the bed, to look for his shoes.

__True

__False

4.       The following word group is a FRAGMENT: The newly elected senator, who she admired.

__True

__False

5.       The capitalized verb agrees with the subject: One of the presents WERE under the tree.

__True

__False

6.       The capitalized verb agrees with the subject: Almost every member of the team AGREE with the coach.

__True

__False

7.       The capitalized verb agrees with the subject: The groom's friends, family, and boss WAS at the wedding.

__True

__False

8.       The capitalized verb agrees with the subject: Every new employee hired HAVE to go through extensive training.

__True

__False

9.       Quotation marks are correctly used in the following sentence, and the entire sentence is correctly punctuated and capitalized:

"There are two good candidates for the job opening", the regional manager said.

__True

__False

10.   Quotation marks are correctly used in the following sentence, and the entire sentence is correctly punctuated and capitalized:

The investor asked "why we expected this level of growth."

__True

__False

11.   Quotation marks are correctly used in the following sentence, and the entire sentence is correctly punctuated and capitalized:

"Why did the merger fail?," Jennifer asked.

__True

__False

12.   Quotation marks are correctly used in the following sentence, and the entire sentence is correctly punctuated and capitalized:

The two applicants raised their hands and asked "Where they should put their papers?"

__True

__False

Part II: Multiple Choice

In the following sentences, identify if the word grouping contains sentence fragments, comma splices, run-on sentences, or if the grouping is a complete sentence.

13.   Computers, essential to modern commerce, and becoming essential to our social lives as well.

__ Sentence fragment.

__ Comma splice

__ Run-on sentence.

__ Complete sentence (contains no error)

14.   For example, some people communicate primarily electronically. Rather than face to face.

__ Sentence fragment.

__ Comma splice

__ Run-on sentence.

15.   Many people hate doing their income taxes, they find the process frustrating.

__ Sentence fragment.

__ Comma splice

__ Run-on sentence.

16.   While everyone should save money for retirement, not everyone does so.

__ Sentence fragment.

__ Comma splice

__ Run-on sentence.

Identify the pronoun error in each of the following sentences.

17.   Dave told Todd that he was afraid he was going to get fired.

__ Indefinite use of "this," "that," or "which."

__ Indefinite use of "they" or "you."

__ Ambiguous reference.

__ No error.

18.   A police officer has to be careful when they are on the job.

__ pronoun shift in number.

__ pronoun shift in person.

__ Ambiguous reference.

__ No error.

19.   When someone drives over the speed limit, you have to be careful.

__ pronoun shift in number.

__ pronoun shift in person.

__ Ambiguous reference.

__ No error.

20.   The new employee worked long hours, hoping that doing so would advance their career.    

__ pronoun shift in number.

__ pronoun shift in person.

__ Ambiguous reference.

__ No error.

21.   Helen knew that ___ and Joyce would have to work hard to earn that promotion.

__ her

__ herself

__ she herself

__ she

22.   A police officer has to be careful when they are on the job.

__ pronoun shift in number.

__ pronoun shift in person.

__ Ambiguous reference.

__ No error.

23.   A salesman's income often depends upon their personal initiative.

__ pronoun shift in number.

__ pronoun shift in person.

__ Ambiguous reference.

__ No error.

Category: Homework
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.