Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

science

Customer Question

does anyone know the answer from calvert school 8th grade science progect on page 110 skills lab "How Far is that Star?" It has to be analze and concluded. Thanks.I need to check my daughters answers before I submit them,and I want to make sure I have the right answer.
Category: Homework
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Chances are good that if you can post the actual question,
somebody here can answer it.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: well it is 2 pages of simple instructions..that is why I am asking if anyone has the book.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Fair enough. Let's hope someone has. Another possibility might
be to post a scan or digital picture of the page(s) here.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: Or is there someone who would take a fax?
Expert:  Dr WLS replied 11 years ago.
Try to fax me at(NNN) NNN-NNNN if you want. Make sure you also send the question as well as the "instructions". It sounds like it might be a parallax problem, where one measures how far a star moves back and forth relative to more distant stars, during a year, and uses trigonometry to get the distance.

Try to get the problem to xarqi, if you can. He deserves the first chance to answer, and knows this subject well.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dr WLS's Post: Thank you so very much.I think this is exactly what the problem is.It is more an experimental progect with an analze and conclude answer.I would love to send it to xarqi,but I can only fax.I do not have a scanner or any other way to do this.I will fax it on mon from work if that is okay? I don't know how the pricing works with this,so if you could let me know?
thank you
Jacky
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Thanks to you both. I'll leave you in the capable hands of Dr
WLS.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks,xarqi ! Just to add something,I have tried several other sites ,and you 2 have been the nicest people...you actually don't make me feel stupid....lol.Thanks again

Jacky
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Aw - shucks.

One way or another, we'll get you an answer.
Expert:  Dr WLS replied 11 years ago.
The fax number I gave you earlier, to fax me the problem from the book, was not answering when I tried a test fax to it earlier today. I have reported it to eFax.com and hope to have the problem fixed Monday. My account and that phone number is XXXXX to be active. If it doesn't work in the morning, try later in the afternoon. I will let you know if the faxing problem can't be fixed Monday.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Will do. I can now wait til wed.So I don't need it in til the end of this week. I just want to make sure she got the correct answer,as it is her final test.I will wait to hear from you on mon. Thanks again,to both of you

Jacky
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hi Dr WLS, I have tried faxing today and your fax number is XXXXX not working.I have called school and have til next mon. to get the test in.So if you have it operating by then,could you please let me know.If not I will try to break down the problem to briefly describe what it is,and then maybe I can find someone with a fax,that I can send it to.
Thanks again
Jacky
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Try contacting the JustAnswer support team. They may have a
fax machine, you never know. It should not be too much to ask
for them to transfer a received fax to an image posted at this
question. You can get them [email protected]
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks so much xarqi
Jacky
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Xarqi Dr. WlS send he is e-mailing you some of the problem.Could you e-mail me the answer if you get [email protected] let me know what is happening with it?

Thanks
Jacky
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Will do.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Hi Jacky:
I've received a copy of the fax you sent Dr WLS, and I'm as
puzzled as he is I think. Your question asked that your
daughter's work be checked, but no work is provided.

Has this experiment actually been performed? If it has, at the
very least we need the measurements made to be able to help.
If it hasn't, there is not much we can do. We can't even carry out
the experiment for her since it will be clear from our results that
the experiment was not done in the classroom (the results
depend on the size of the room, and the teacher will see a
discrepancy).

Do you have the missing data?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: Yes I have the data,but it is not for the experiment.it is for the question and answer part before that.We do not know how to go about this at all.

Thanks again

jacky
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Hi Jacky:

Only the data for the parallax experiment is important in
answering the questions for the assignment.

I think I'm missing something here. Was this a class project? If
so, maybe a classmate has the data. Was it a home schooling or
independent project? If so, there is just no substitute for
somebody carrying out the experiment and collecting the data.
It looks like it might take about an hour to do, and most of the
learning happens when the experiment is performed.

It's just like cookery - you can't make a cake without the
ingredients, and you can't draw a conclusion without the data.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Okay, this is an independent progect with homeschooling.We could pick out a question from a series of them.Now she answered all the test work,but the project work is extra.She tried the experiment ,but hasn't a clue on how to do the data , cm and mm etc....if that makes any sense.To me I don't know one way or another,as I am clueless in science.I guess we will just have to submit what she has ,as I have no other solution.Thank you all for your help anyway.You both have been absolutely wonderful and very patient.

Jacky :)
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
If she is there and still has the box she made, and you have a
lamp, and a couple of tables, and a tape measure, maybe I can
walk you through the experiment. It will be awkward and may
take more than an hour, but it might work.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
You are the nicest person ever! How very very kind of you to offer.She isn't here right now,she is at her drama class(hence maybe the lack of science knowledge???)We will figure it out some way.I will let you know the results.
Thank you,
Jacky
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
OK.

The first thing is that the box operates as a pinhole camera. She
must be able to see the image of the lamp on the paper at the
back of the box, and it will be faint, so you'll need to have the
room otherwise dark.

You need to measure the distance from the from the pinhole to
the image. That is the focal length.

You need to measure how far you move the box (probably from
one edge of the table to the other.

For each "star", you need to measure the distance from the hole
in the box to the lamp, and the distance the image of the lamp
moves on the "screen".

I'll be around for an hour or so, and back later on, so I'll check
on progress.
Expert:  Dr WLS replied 11 years ago.

Just for the record, I wanted to get the question uploaded to JustAnswer, after all the effort that has gone into getting it faxed, received and scanned. I leave you in the patient and capable hands of xarqi to walk you through the measurement process. The second page follows.