xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
94965

Geometry

Customer Question

Draw and label a diagram that includes:

A triangle with each vertex and the given information labeled. And all other information needed to present the proof.

Construct a formal proof of the theorem including:

Given statement(s)

Other statements

A reason for each step.

A conclusion that restates the theorem.

Category: Homework
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
What is the theorem to be proved and what information is given?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: Sorry,
I am supposed to prove that if the base angles of a triangle are congruent, then the triangle is isosceles.

Then the following information:
Draw and label a diagram that includes:

Given statement(s)

Other statements

A reason for each step.

A conclusion that restates the theorem.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
OK.

Of course, the triangle will be, but proving it geometrically,
rather than trigonometrically is another matter.

I'll have a think and see what I can come up with.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Right - I just have to draw it up now.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Here's a proof.  It is a little trigonometrical, but maybe that
will be OK.  If it needs explanation or modification, just get
back to me.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
It has to be geometrical.
I have to show geometric and spatial reasoning concepts and principles. I have to construct formal, logical arguments, proofs and constructions by following the above directions. I am sorry for all your wasted time, but it has to be geometric.
Thanks, Angela
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Not wasted at all! Let me have another think about a different
approach. I guess I go back to Euclid and start from there! :-)
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Make that:
Since triangles ACD and BCD sharea common side (CD), have
two sides of equal length (AD, and DB), and have congruent
included angles (ACD and DCB), they must be congruent.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: I am sorry, this is not exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate your help though.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Can you explain what it is that you are looking for? Give an
example perhaps? I was fairly sure I'd managed to give a
geometrical proof the second time. Where did it fall short?