Sarder Hasnut
Sarder Hasnut, Professional
Experience:  I can Help you, what you need.
5235

Reading comprehension exams

Customer Question

I need some help. I have a little trouble taking tests that have reading comprehension questions where you have to answer questions based on a passage. Could you please give me some advice on how I can do better when taking these kinds of tests? I would appreciate any advice you could give me
Category: Homework
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
Reading comprehension can be quite difficult for some. Unfortunately, people who find it to be easy don't understand.

There are some tricks that can help you.

1. Picture the page in your mind. When you read a part of the page that seems important to you, try to remember where it is on the page. Is it near a photo? Is it in bold text? This will help you to remember the facts by visualizing the page when it's test time.

2. If you can't remember the whole paragraph, read and double read the first and last. Compare the two in your mind. This will help you to understand what you read.

I hope this helps with your struggles.

Let me know if you have more questions.

I found some tips online also at:

http://www.marin.cc.ca.us/%7Edon/Study/7read.html

Improving Comprehension.

Reading comprehension requires motivation, mental frameworks for holding ideas, concentration and good study techniques. Here are some suggestions.

Develop a broad background.
Broaden your background knowledge by reading newspapers, magazines and books. Become interested in world events.

Know the structure of paragraphs.
Good writers construct paragraphs that have a beginning, middle and end. Often, the first sentence will give an overview that helps provide a framework for adding details. Also, look for transitional words, phrases or paragraphs that change the topic.

Identify the type of reasoning.
Does the author use cause and effect reasoning, hypothesis, model building, induction or deduction, systems thinking? See section 20 for more examples on critical thinking skills.

Anticipate and predict.
Really smart readers try to anticipate the author and predict future ideas and questions. If you're right, this reinforces your understanding. If you're wrong, you make adjustments quicker.

Look for the method of organization.
Is the material organized chronologically, serially, logically, functionally, spatially or hierarchical? See section 10 for more examples on organization.

Create motivation and interest.
Preview material, ask questions, discuss ideas with classmates. The stronger your interest, the greater your comprehension.

Pay attention to supporting cues.
Study pictures, graphs and headings. Read the first and last paragraph in a chapter, or the first sentence in each section.

Highlight, summarize and review.
Just reading a book once is not enough. To develop a deeper understanding, you have to highlight, summarize and review important ideas.

Build a good vocabulary.
For most educated people, this is a lifetime project. The best way to improve your vocabulary is to use a dictionary regularly. You might carry around a pocket dictionary and use it to look up new words. Or, you can keep a list of words to look up at the end of the day. Concentrate on roots, prefixes and endings.

Use a systematic reading technique like SQR3.
Develop a systematic reading style, like the SQR3 method and make adjustments to it, depending on priorities and purpose. The SQR3 steps include Survey, Question, Read, Recite and Review. See Section 14 for more details.

Monitor effectiveness.
Good readers monitor their attention, concentration and effectiveness. They quickly recognize if they've missed an idea and backup to reread it.

Should You Vocalize Words?

Yes, although it is faster to form words in your mind rather than on your lips or throat. Eye motion is also important. Frequent backtracking slows you down considerably.
Expert:  Sarder Hasnut replied 11 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.