A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Holistic doc; Why doesn't my mom have a after taking large

Customer Question

Holistic doc; Why doesn't my mom have a BM after taking large doses of mangesium throughout the day;
AM = 2 tsp mag citrate, sometimes during a meal an additional Mag glycinate, and around 4pm would start a dose of powder magnesium THreonite with other stuff in it by Xymogen. That is approx 600mg,,, and finally in the afternoon, there was a BM. It seems like a lot of work. BUt after the BM, the persons cognition returned. Can you give me a sure holistic formula that produces a BM everyday which does not let the bowels get full....It seems the mental state of the person is always clearer after a BM... I was told by an MD to NOT take magnesium during a meal because it has a buffering effect which is not what someone wants when the stomach acids have to break down food. And too much MAG can lower blood pressure and relax the heart too much.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Homeopathy
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

I'm sorry no one has given you a homeopathic remedy, and I won't either. That isn't my specific field.

There is no surefire method that will guarantee that anyone will have a BM every 24 hours. Each person is different.

The magnesium level in the blood stream is very closely regulated by the body. It takes an awful lot to overcome the body's safeguards and become toxic, multiples of how much your mother is getting.

The laxative effect of magnesium is primarily due to the osmotic activity of the salts in the gut. The salts more likely to cause BMs are magnesium carbonate, chloride, gluconate or oxides. Milk of Magnesia, for example, is magnesium hydroxide. You might want to try one of those salts instead of the ones you are using.

As someone gets older their dietary intake of magnesium tends to decrease, while gut absorption decreases and kidney excretion increases. Of course, the best source is food. Here is a chart showing some magnesium-rich foods:

Of course, food has the added benefit of fiber and fluid content which keeps the bowels moving.

Fiber supplements like Benefiber (which is odorless and tasteless and can be mixed in anything) or Metamucil can also help.

Some people do not have a bowel movement every day. As long as it is fairly regular (every 1 to 3 days) and isn't difficult to pass, that is fine.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I posted into the wrong area. But I like your information regarding magnesium. One Chinese dr said magnesium chloride is better than mag citrate. Can you clarify why ? And another said a deficiency in salt can also cause hardening of stools ... Sure enough labs revealed a deficiency in sodium. Note: mag protocol was given by an MD but it still does not produce a BM. There is neurological issues going on yet verifying via tests is not yet possible. Any links describing how to strengthen gut biodome in the elderly to produce daily BM would be helpful .
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 12 days ago.

"...One Chinese dr said magnesium chloride is better than mag citrate. Can you clarify why ? ..."

No, I can't clarify that. You would need to ask him for the basis of his statement.

"...And another said a deficiency in salt can also cause hardening of stools...... Sure enough labs revealed a deficiency in sodium"

The body regulates sodium within a narrow range, because getting out of the range isn't compatible with life. Low sodium levels are most often caused by kidney, liver, or heart problems, dehydration, vomiting or diarrhea, or abnormally high levels of a hormone called ADH (antidiuretic hormone) which causes the body to retain large amounts of water. It is fairly rare, and you would know if this were the problem because she would be drinking quarts of water per day.

"...There is neurological issues going on..."

This may be the issue. Nerves in the bowel stimulate the muscles to move in a coordinated fashion of contraction and relaxation called peristalsis. This pushes the food through the system in a coordinated fashion. If the nerve stimulation isn't there, the muscle doesn't move and BMs are less often and harder.

Here is an article you might find interesting:

"...Any links describing how to strengthen gut biodome in the elderly to produce daily BM would be helpful..."

Food is the key, of course. You have to eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. Yogurt containing probiotics (Activia) is something to try. Probiotics can also help (Florastor, Align, Culturelle).

As I mentioned, a "daily" bowel movement may not be a normal expectation, Many elders only go every 2-3 days.

Best regards,

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 days ago.

Did you have further questions about this? If not, I would appreciate a rating (hopefully a "5") since that's the only way I get credit for answering questions.