DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Practice Director
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

This is hoping that Dr can help me. Dr , I

Customer Question

This is hoping that Dr Jane can help me.
Hello Dr Jane, I need with with my 6 year old son and some asthma/allergy issues. You have helped me before in the past.We have started to change his diet and exclude the foods he has sensitivities to and also give Claritin for allergies but lately he has been having non stop cough..or cough that comes and goes, usually more pronounced at night. When he coughs you can hear the mucous in the chest. He doesn't gasp for air. His coughing episodes last about an hour which is when he clears the mucous. I'm at a loss what to do. The drs say that I have to wait it out but I know there is something that can be done.
Category: Homeopathy
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 6 months ago.
HiI am Dr. Thomas, a double board certified US doctor, MD, and classical homeopath.What makes the cough worse.What makes it better
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would like to note that I gave him a remedy that said "dry non productive cough" that was supposed to help thin and clear mucous. I gave him 30c twice before but I noticed that after every dose he started to run a fever which then turned into a chest infection and also caused throwing up. I discontinued giving this to him for this reason.
HiPlease answer my questions above if you will
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I've worked with Dr Jane in the past and would like to work with here again
I have not seen here on the site for quite some time, in fact.I can not say how long you would have to wait.Would you like to wait?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry, I thought this site said she was online.
I can not tell that she is from my end.I am an internationally active homeopath, part of the materia medical project, with years of training and practice.I will opt out so this will alert all experts to this post. If you decide you do not want to wait, just find me by request in homeopathy or medical. Use a long request lock , "for Dr. thomas only" in the title, and set up the question for a complex answer if you want a remedy analysis.Or, I will check back here in 30 minutes to see if you want to continue with me.good luck
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, thank you for taking my question. His coughing has no real pattern. Nothing helps it when it starts. But I do notice that MOST of the time it occurs at night. He used to have these episodes once every 4-5 months as a toddler but lately have been more pronounced. Actually it does seem to get better with activity. Once he falls asleep he usually stops coughing. He hasn't been diagnosed with asthma but to me it matches the symptoms. This only started 7 months ago after a round of steriods for a reaction to penecillin. He has had 3 chest infections since then. The doctor advised daily dose of Zyrtec and he had no coughing or congestion for 1 month. Switched to Claritin and he was fine but then he starts to cough again though the nasal congestion has seemed to subside.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have blood results that show he is allergic to some trees, grasses, even some sensitivities to some foods. We went gluten free 2 months ago and now are starting the GAPS diet 2 days ago. He had never really had any allergy symptoms until after the steriod and the 3 rounds of antibiotics he has had since November.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe I did setup this question for a detailed answer
OKI will be glad to jump back in here.What makes the cough worse, if you can think of anything. While he has it going what makes it go worse.Of course we can see things get worse after steroids, since this disrupts the responses and confuses the situation in many cases.Also realize that a full homeopathic analysis, particularly for asthma, requires a 1 to 3 hour face to fact and up to several hours of analysis.Here I can give you the top remedy choices based on what we go over only, and can not examine him. The exam and findings is also important for selecting a remedy. So I advise strongly that you find a classical homeopath to take his case in person.In any casea. Anything make the cough worse.b. Anything very peculiar about it.c. What is his temperament like.d. How is he in relation to temperature, ...hot or chilly person, etc.e. How do various types of weather affect him.f. What really sets him off.g. Anything odd about his personality, or uniqueh. How is his sleep.I. any other physical problems?J. any fears, phobias or anxietiesK. any sensitivities besides to allergens. Anything he reacts to emotionally.L. Best time of day/worst time of day.M. How is he with people.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a. Anything make the cough worse.>>In the beginning I noticed it started with cold air. My MD thinks it is triggered by environmental and food allergies.b. Anything very peculiar about it. >> What's peculiar is that it mostly happens at night. Some times though it happens during the day with no apparent reason. It will start with coughing..then mucous sounding cough..then you can hear the mucous in his chest. He usually stops coughing because he seems to clear the mucous. But the "fit" will last about an hour or so. Some days though it will be all day, then he will have nasal congestion. He says it "tickles" and feels like he has "boogers" in his throat.c. What is his temperament like.
>>> He is very emotional and stubborn. He easily gets upset over something as simple as not finding a toy or not being able to read a word.d. How is he in relation to temperature, ...hot or chilly person, etc.
>>He gets hot at night when he first falls asleep. He doesn't like being covered up. When he eats though he gets chilly. He prefers being barefoot.
e. How do various types of weather affect him.
>>He seems to get hot easily but breathing wise he is better in a warm environment. He can run around in doors for 5 min in an air cooled room and still be red and sweaty. He used to have febrile seizures.f. What really sets him off.
Not being able to do something (as in not being able to draw a car "just right" ) or any change in his routineg. Anything odd about his personality, or unique
>>He talks a lot and is very conversational. He is matter of fact and sometimes seems to not grasp what he is really saying. E.g., I told him we were getting him swim lessons but he says he already knows how. Since he was a toddler he has not liked water on his face and even screamed when given a bath. He is picky about certain textures in his food.h. How is his sleep.
>> He sleeps through the night and just seems to wake to urinate once. He slept in our bed until 4 yrs old and recently I had him sleeping with me (for about 4 months) up until 2 weeks ago when he turned 6. He is afraid of the dark.
I. any other physical problems?
He is thin, not pale. Tans easily. Tummy somewhat distended. He used to have constipation but has been resolved for 2 years now. Used to eat very little when young and still does. He is tall for his age but in the 3-5% for weight. He seems to be sometimes clumsy and falls over his feet. He also walks on his tippy toes more often then not. Recently (since he got sick) he has begun to bite his fingernails and chew on the inside of his lip/mouth.J. any fears, phobias or anxieties
He is afraid of the dark, being left alone, and some sensory issues. He screamed when I poured water on his face. If he happens to spill water on himself he freaks out until we wipe him off.K. any sensitivities besides to allergens. Anything he reacts to emotionally.
>>Not being able to sleep with us. He asks everynight to sleep with us and sometimes cries but usually is ok after a bit. He does not like change in his routine and I noticed that if he stays up too late or gets too much physical activity he will have cold symptoms the next day.L. Best time of day/worst time of day.
>>Best time of day is morning. He is usually happy and talkative but gets hyper and really emotionally sensitive at night.M. How is he with people.
>> He sometimes ignores new people when spoken to but then likes to share everything on any subject he knows when he feels comfortable. He loves being around a lot of people. His teacher says he "thinks out loud" and he has gotten written up at school for talking too much.When I first noticed the cough and mucous I gave Antimonium Tartaricum 6c and it helped for a bit to clear the mucous and I would stop. On the 2nd and third incidents of sickness with mucous, he vomited and ran a fever after giving the remedy. I haven't given it to him since.
OKI will analyze this can get back to you
OKDoes he stick is feet out from the covers at night?How is he with sunlightAny foods he hates?Any foods make him sickAny food or flavor cravings?Is the chill during eating food or after eating food?What activity does the cough get better with?Tell me about his skin.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OKDoes he stick is feet out from the covers at night?
YES, if he has the covers on him at all he likes to have his feet uncoveredHow is he with sunlight
I notice he gets red easily with the sun. At the beginning of school he had a heat rash from just 15 min a day playing in the sun at recess. It doesn't make him tired or want to not play, but I do notice he gets flushed easily.Any foods he hates?
All vegetables. He also has an aversion towards rice and beans. Because of the diet we started we have been feeding him veggies and soups but he fights these.Any foods make him sick
Not that I knew of. He has never had stomach or digestion issues other than some constipation. HOWEVER, is blood test showed he had an IgE II reaction to corn, rice, wheat, ..all grains basically as well as a I reaction to peanuts and hazelnuts. IgG reactions included I : dairy, grapefruit, fennel II: gluten III: wheat, tuna, cod, sardines. Still none of these foods give him stomach issues. Just congestion and what I think is asthma symptoms but I'm not sure if this is because of the foods or his grass/pollen allergy which is in the III's.Any food or flavor cravings?
He loves all fruit and craves sweets after dinner. He craves chocolate as wellIs the chill during eating food or after eating food?
The chill is towards the end/after eating food.What activity does the cough get better with?
Running/jumping aroundTell me about his skin.
I would say it's normal except for that it's very sensitive to pressure. If he rubs his face against his fathers beard for example, he gets little red spots where the hair touched him.Right now, his symptoms have progressed to a constant cough and lots of nasal congestion. You can hear a wheezing sound sometimes in his chest though he is not struggling to breath. This of course happens every 2 months or so. He gets the cough..and it increases over days becoming more and more wet...to when finally it is constant then ends up with the nasal congestion and wheezing. This lasts for a week or so..then he is fine for about 1-2 months until this whole episode starts again. (the whole time he is on 1 tsp of Claritin daily)
OKThe approach to treating the cough, which has become a chronic problem, and maybe asthma [he needs spirometry testing] is doomed to have temporary effects in a lot of cases.He needs a constitutional prescription and should be working with a well trained an experienced homeopath, to cure the cough, asthma and allergies, thus getting rid of the medications.The case will open up well with homeopathic sulphur.A single dose of 30C, or even 12C should be given as a test to make sure he does not excessively aggravate.Some homeopaths would open this case up with calcarea. Some would sequence the treatment calcarea,lycopodium, sulfur.In any case, the second prescription, if he needs one, will require more analysis and skill.If he reacts well to a low potency of sulfur, he might tolerate a 200C if the symptom picture remains the same, but of course, only as needed.As he comes off medications, the picture might change.Please click a positive rating.Find me as needed.I am here by request daily. I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You've kind of scared me now. A single dose is 6 pellets , is that correct? What could happen if he excessively aggravates? What do I do then if he does? He seemed to aggravate when I gave him Antomonium and we ended up in the ER because of dehydration both times.
So basically give him one dose of 30c sulphur and see what happens, right? If the cough goes away after one dose of 30c stop? If it goes away and comes back try 200c one dose?There is a well trained classical homepath in my area which I was considering. I'm scared to try the sulphur after you say that it might potentially excessively aggravate him.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much for your advice
One pellet. Or a couple.Nothing is going to happen from an aggravation of a 12C or 30 C, other than an increase in symptoms for a while.The directions after the single dose depend on how he reacts.Yes, it is better to have a homeopath on hand for analysis and treatment.Typically, one dose as needed. Which means as long as the remedy is reacting and helping, do not repeat.Please do not forget a positive rating.Find me as needed on a new post.Either in medical or in homeopathy.A proper aggravation is followed by amelioration.Normal.