DrRussMD, Practice Director
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

Oh .. I sell life vantage products...Protandim is an herbal

Customer Question

Oh hi.. I sell life vantage products...Protandim is an herbal supplement according to fda reduces oxidative stress by 40% 1 month and by 70% in 4 months. If my customer is on warfari N could that be an issue? Protandim is time rock milk thistle 2 Chinese herbs blob and ashwaganda and green tea. Supposed to be great at reducing inflammation which could help this man's pain levels he's on 20 meds 3 of them pain,meds!
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Gentleman has a pacemaker pacemaker meds blood pressure and cholesterol meds also
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Homeopathy
Expert:  Sameh Girgis replied 12 months ago.
Herbal supplements are not FDA approved and thus can not be indicated to treat specific disease. In addition, the contents of herbal supplements can not always be verified. Can you tell me more about what is in this herbal supplement?
Warfarin as well as other cardiac medication can have drug drug interactions with any active ingredient that is contained in this herbal supplement. Thus, knowing the exact ingredients in the herbal supplement would be important.Can you tell me anything about the active ingredients in the herbal supplement?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 12 months ago.
HelloI am a double board certified US doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine.So, not only am I intimately familiar with warfarin, but I am certified in the evidence based use of herbs as well.Ashwaganda has not been shown to interact with warfarin.However, green tea can possibly, based on the evidence, reduce the effectiveness of warfarin.Bacopa interactions are not known enough to say at all.This product also contains turmeric, which can cause more bleeding on warfarin, possibly.Milk thistle can increase the time the liver takes to break down warfarin and therefore effectively increase the dose.I would recommend not using this product for these specific reasons, unless your doctor is willing to do extra monitoring on your INR [every two days] for a week, and then monitor you carefully.Not really worth it.Save time here: find me by request. Use a long request lock and "for Dr. Thomas only" in the title, in medical any day of the week for fast, safe, accurate, evidence based and correct answers.Please click a positive rating at the top of this answer page.Any problems? Contact customer service.dt