A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Can someone help me with Apricot Kernels questions?

Customer Question

Category: Homeopathy
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I am sorry your question has been unanswered for so long.
What questions do you have about apricot kernels?
Best regards,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can i eat them? I read that they have cyanide and you should not eat them and then I read its safe to eat a couple a day?

I wanted an experts opinion.

Apricot kernels are converted to cyanide in the stomach where the poison spreads throughout the body. For that reason, why would you want to eat even a couple of them?
I'm looking forward to your reply,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But they are from a fruit how could they hurt you? I read they are good for you?

There are quite a few vegetables and fruits that have poisonous compounds, just most of them aren't at levels that can be toxic to humans. For instances somce cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower) also contain cyanide, just not enough to hurt us regardless of how much we eat of them. Apple seeds also contain cyanide, but it takes about a cupful of them to cause danger.
Apricot kernels are another matter entirely. Just a handful can get you into the lethal range. There is no particular benefit from eating them, and a real risk so it's best to avoid them. While one or two aren't going to kill you, a handful very well might.
They contain a compound called amygdalin, the active ingredient in the discredited cancer treatment laetrile.
Please let me know if you have questions.
All the best,
Schuyler
~