Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My father was diagnosed with kidney dysfunction almost 15

Customer Question

My father was diagnosed with kidney dysfunction almost 15 years back . That time his creatinine was 1.8 . Till middle of last year his creatinine was within 2.6.This could be achieved based on dietary restrictions and control of BP through necessary medication
. However for the last one year his kidney function is deteriorating very rapidly , there was a sharp rise from 2.6.to 3.6 and then to 4.2 within a period of 11 months . He does not have any additional symptoms though except that he has developed an itchy
skin and also his capability to digest food is really getting reduced over . He has history of chronic gastritis as well. His creatinine clearance is 18 right now (as per latest urine report ) . It was 23 a year back .He is 74 years old. What does this mean
, which stage is he in ? We really do not want him to go through dialysis , he is a person who has never even taken any injection in his entire life . Need advice about what should be our next steps . Is there any way to reduce creatinine in his blood ? What
can we do to arrest any further deterioration ?
Category: Homeopathy
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.These are all excellent questions. Unfortunately, is seems that your father is heading toward dialysis. When his kidney function gets to the point where it can no longer detox his body -- and it seems that he is heading that way pretty quickly -- he will need to decide if he want to continue to live by undergoing dialysis or if he is ready to move on.....As to direct answers to your other questions I would suggest you contact his urologist and ask her to meet with you so that you can get the best answers possible to your very important questions. Perhaps you and your Father, as well as other interested family members, can meet with the doctor together. Does this make sense to you? I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts. Dr. Rick MD FACS