Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  General practitioner with 12 years of experience specializing in alternative medicine.

i have constant feeling at the back of my throat of something

i have constant feeling at the back of my throat of something lodged there when i swallow, it does seem to get worse after i have had something to eat or drink (hot or cold)
i have had x ray done and endoscopy which showed nothing..the doctor put me on somac for acid reflux but i went off it after 2 weeks as it didnt seem to help...
it has been like this now for about 4 months
i have been generally quiet stressed with work through this time..
it would be great to get some advice as it is really bothering me
thank you

I would like to help you with your question concerning the symptom of constantly feeling like something is lodged at the back of the throat on swallowing. There are indeed a number of different homeopathic medicines which may be helpful for relieving this sensation, and I would like to assist you in deciding which remedies are worth trying.

From the information that you have already provided, remedies such as Lachesis mutus 30C, Mercurius corrosivus 30C, and Hepar sulphuris calcareum 30C seem like possible remedies that may be beneficial. There are some other possibilities as well.

May I ask for some additional information so that I can help to narrow down the choices? Have you tried any homeopathic remedies already, and if so which ones have you tried?

Could you please provide more details of your symptom? Besides swallowing and eating food or drinking, is there anything else that seems to make it worse? Is there anything that seems to make it feel any better? Also could you tell me about any particular emotions you may be experiencing in response to stress? Are you prone to weeping, anger, sadness, irritability, fear, etc.?

Dr. Zeoli

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi thank you for your response
i have not had any homeopathic remedies for this problem or any alternative medicine..
drinking herbal teas (ginger tea, green tea and even hot water seems to make it worse also coffee)
the only cold drinks i drink are organic 100% coconut water and still mineral water and that seems to make it worse too
the only alcohol i drink is wine and that makes it worse especially sparkling or champagne
food is not so bad i cant recall exactly what foods make it feel worse..sorry
i think it is definitely worse when i am really stressed, but does not always subside when i am relaxed either
when i am stressed i get frustrated and irritated and sometimes just want to cry when it all seems too much ..
also i feel resentful of my business and have feelings of wanting to let it all go, lots of things bother me when i am in this state
i dont know if this is connected but i get very itchy corners of my eyes close to where the tears come out.. not my eye itself but the skin
hope this is enough info you requested
thank you
I see. Thank you for the additional information. I have selected three different homeopathic remedies that are indicated for the symptoms you have described including the sensation that something is lodged in the back of the throat which is worse on swallowing, eating, and drinking. Additionally, I will mention some herbs that can be useful for problems with the throat.

The first remedy to try is called homeopathic Sabadilla 30C. The dosage is 5 pellets dissolved under the tongue, one to three times per day for several days, taken 45 minutes away from meals. This one is typically used for allergies, however it also can be used for the particular symptoms of the throat that you have described.

If the Sabadilla does not work for some reason within a few days, the next remedy to try is homeopathic Bryonia 30C. This one can be soothing to the mucous membranes of the throat and respiratory tract. The dosage instructions are the same.

Lastly, if the Sabadilla and Bryonia are ineffective the next choice would be homeopathic Graphites 30C.

Besides the homeopathic remedies, there is a Chinese herbal formula that is meant to relieve the sensation of something stuck in the throat. It is called "Ban Xia Hou Pu Wan", here is the link:

There is an herbal tea called "Throat Coat" which contains the herbs licorice root, slippery elm, and marshmallow root, which may be beneficial. Here is the link:

I hope that this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I will send the answers as soon as possible.

Dr. Zeoli