Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  General practitioner with 12 years of experience specializing in alternative medicine.
19863579

my husband has yellow skin on his eyelids what can it be

Category: Homeopathy
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

drzeoli :

Hello, I would like to help you with your question about your husband's eyelids being yellow. May I ask for more information? Does he have yellow skin anywhere else, such as on the palms of the hands or soles of the feet? Are the whites of his eyes yellow at all? Dr. Zeoli

Customer:

hi, he does not have yellow skin anywhere else and eyes are white but can see some yellowy orange flecks in his eyes the coloured bit which is hazel.

drzeoli :

Thank you for the additional information. Just a few more questions and then I will give you some answers. How long has he had the yellow skin on his eyelids? Could you post a photo? Is he currently taking any medications? Is he currently having any other symptoms? Has he had any past medical conditions?

Customer:

yes i shall try to get a pic. the skin has been like it for well over a year some days its more noticeable than others. He is asthmatic and takes a preventor seretide 500 daily and ventolin when needed. in the past he has had kidney stones and pneumonia. he also has a hiatus hernia which he takes omeprazole 2 a day for. i have read the literature with these meds and there is nothing regarding this condition. he has ahealthy balanced died only has herbalife tea with natural green tea doesnt drink and doesnt smoke. no other symptoms.

Dr. David, Doctor
Experience: General practitioner with 12 years of experience specializing in alternative medicine.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I would agree that the yellow eyelids are not a usual side-effect of the medications that you listed. However, it is possible that they are covering up an underlying nutritional deficiency which is contributing to the discoloration. Discoloration around the lower eyelids can be associated with problems in the stomach or digestive system. It would make sense to me that this could be an issue for your husband since he is taking the omeprazole twice per day. This powerful drug turns off the stomach acid, as you may already know.

The problem is that stomach acid is necessary for the digestion and absorption of nutrients present in dietary foods. Without stomach acid the digestion and absorption of many vitamins, minerals, and amino acids is reduced to levels that can result in nutrient deficiencies in the body. For example, vitamin B12 deficiency can result from taking omeprazole. Also a deficiency of zinc and other trace minerals is a likely possibility.

It will be great to see a photo. I will be able to tell you more information after taking a look. Please let me know if you have any additional questions so far. Is the yellow color of your husband's eyelids on the top lids, botXXXXX XXXXXds, or both?
Dr. David, Doctor