Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  General practitioner with 12 years of experience specializing in alternative medicine.
19863579

Hello, Is it safe to take St. Johns Wort, SAM-e and 5-HTP

Hello, Is it safe to take St. Johns Wort, SAM-e, GAMA and 5-HTP together? I feel like once I read that it wasn't good to take SJW and 5-
HTP together, but I could be wrong. 

I am trying to overturn a bad case of anxiety. Is it safe to take all of these supplements each day? 

Also, all this anxiety stemmed when I got a bad prostate infection. After 4 weeks on Anitbotics, I am no better and sick of the side effects. I am thinking about adding Silver Water. Do you think that would be safe with these things above as well?

Thank you SO much!

Category: Homeopathy
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

drzeoli :

Hello, I would like to help you with your question concerning the safety of taking St. John's wort together with SAM-e, GABA, and 5-HTP. May I ask for additional information? What dosage are you taking or planning to take of each of these supplements? Also may I ask about the prostate infection? What particular symptoms are you experiencing at this point? Dr. Zeoli

Customer:

Hi Dr! I am not sure about the dosage to take. I was planning on buying the supplements and following the directions on each package. Is that a good plan? Or can you recommend any dosages?

Customer:

As far as the Prostatitis. It's been wicked! Oh my gosh! I am 29, never had any health problems, etc. I was fine, then one day, it burned when I urinated. Then the next day, full blown symptoms. Lots of bladder pressure, my prostate literally ached, so much pressure down there. It burned to pee, I have a real weak stream, it takes forever to get started and it's painful to ejaculate. This has been going on for 4-5 weeks. I went to see a Urologist who said right away I had Prostatitis. I've been on Doxycline (antibiotic) for 4 weeks now with no improvements. He told me to take it for another month, but I can't stand this any longer.

Customer:

So in turn, it's made my anxiety terrible! I just here and freak out all day. It's hard to work because I have to pee every 15 minutes!

Customer:

I've read on a few sites about "sexual exhaustion" and how stress and over using the prostate can lead to Prostatitis. A few people said, once this happens, it can cause severe anxiety and I have been in panic mode for soooo long!

drzeoli :

I see. Thanks for the additional information. The supplements that you mentioned are all very safe. And they will also be safe if you take them together at the dosages mentioned on the bottles. The 5-HTP is the one to be concerned about, as it can cause side-effects at the higher dosages over 200mg per day. The GABA also can have a strong effect on reducing anxiety. It would be best to start at a lower dose to see how it makes you feel, and then increasing the dose as needed. Sorry to hear that you are still having the prostatitis symptoms. There are some herbs available that can help relieve symptoms such as the burning pain, weak stream, and bladder pressure. Here is the list: uva ursi, pipsissewa, and stinging nettle leaf. Here is a link for a herb formula that may be helpful: http://www.morningstarhealth.com/909363.html?productid=909363&channelid=FROOG

drzeoli :

I hope that this information is helpful for you and that you feel better soon. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will send the answers as soon as possible.

Customer:

Oh Dr. Zeoli you are soooo great, thank you SO much!!!

Dr. David, Doctor
Experience: General practitioner with 12 years of experience specializing in alternative medicine.