Dr. Karin
Dr. Karin, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Osteopathic and homeopathic physician for 14 years. General practice, adults and children.
46934071

My tongue is rough, whitish with cracks in it. Sometimes I

My tongue is rough, whitish with cracks in it. Sometimes I have touble swallowing. I have Hashimoto. Have seen an endocrinologist, neurologist, internist. None have been able to diagnose my problem.
Category: Homeopathy
Expert:  Dr. Karin replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Karin :

Hello, I am happy to try and help.
Can you tell me whether you take any medications at all, and what are they?

Dr. Karin :

Also, how long have you had the problem with the tongue?

Dr. Karin :

Does the tongue seem related to the trouble swallowing? Or does it seem a separate problem?

Dr. Karin :

Are there certain things that are hardest to swallow?

Dr. Karin :

I will be online for a while now, but I will also be checking back here later today for your reply. We can continue to chat until I feel I can make a suggestion to you.

Customer:

Take Levothyroxin 88mcg 1 daily

Customer:

Woke up in the middle of the night June 20th. Felt like I needed to swallow and could not initiate a swallow. It felt like the problem was with tongue. I could move my tongue but it wouldn't let me swallow. Waited a few seconds and I could swallow. Since then the problem is better. However my tongue is as described. It does seem to be related to the problem. Now most of the time I can intiate a swallow unless my mouth is really dry. A drink of water helps. However my tongue and the back of my throat feel different and my tongue looks different. There is nothing that is harder for me to swallow. Sometimes it feels like my tongue get the food in the right place.

Customer:

I take Levothyroxin 88 mcg l daily

Dr. Karin :

Have you had any neck pain, back pain, or headaches during this time? Any recent injury?

Customer:

No

Dr. Karin :

Any bad taste in your mouth, or bad breath?
Any change in digestion at all, or heartburn?
Any sensation of a lump in the throat?

Customer:

No to bad taste, bad breath. No change in digestion rarely heartburn. No sensation to lump in throat. However my throat feels different. Difficult to describe different. At the back of my mouth and beginning of my throat is where I am aware of the different feeling. No pain or burning just kind of an irritation. I have seen an ENT and when he looked in my throat he said it looked normal. The reason I decided to try this was when I looked up on the internet one time there was one comment from someone who partially described my symptoms. Her comment was it is thyroid, but do not go to an MD because he won't know what it is. Go to a homeopathic physician.

Dr. Karin :

Yes, it is possible to treat based on the sensations you are having, even if we don't figure out exactly 'what' is going on. This is one of the advantages of homeopathy. However, there are many remedies to choose from and the right one must be matched exactly to your symptoms. So, can you also tell me whether you have any other medical problems at all....even if minor ones?

Dr. Karin :

Is there any sensation of dryness elsewhere in your body too?

Customer:

Dry eyes. Dry ears. The opthamologist told me to use non prescription eye drops, but my don't really bother me. She said it would help me see better. I rarely ever use them. My ears use to itch. That was the symptom that sent me to the ENT. However they no longer itch. Skin maybe a little dry.

Customer:

Other medical problems - frequent urination. Knees hurt going up and down stairs. A plugged sweat gland on the bottom each foot. I do take Calium with Vit D supplements.

Dr. Karin :

What do you mean a plugged sweat gland on the foot?

Dr. Karin :

I won't be back online until later this evening, but will check back then.

Customer:

That is what the podiatrist says it is. I have a place on the ball of each foot that is hard and sometimes it is painful to walk. The podiatrist takes an instrument and pulls out the hardened material. It stops hurting, but it comes back in a short period of time.

Dr. Karin :

OK, thanks for the additional information. I will get back with you later with a suggestion.

Dr. Karin :

Need to look some things up, but have to leave home to get my kids from school now.

Dr. Karin :

My apologies!! I will answer your question...finally!

Please get a homeopathic remedy called Lachesis (also called lachesis muta). It should be available in a health food store, in a 30c potency. When you get it, ignore the package directions and take one dose (2-3 pellets dissolved on/under the tongue), once a day for 3 days in a row, and then stop taking it for about a week. See how the tongue is after this. If it is helpful, then I suggest taking a repeat dose as needed when you think symptoms are beginning to return. This would be one dose only, but it could be repeated at any time you think the symptoms are returning.

I also suggest that you brush the teeth only with baking soda, or there is a baking soda based toothpaste on the market with Lemon lime flavor (called EcoDent, I think). Don't use a regular commercial toothpaste. Another option is a Calendula toothpaste...this may be harder to find, but a health food store might have it.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed...and again, I do apologize for my tardy response. I lost track of this question for some reason.

Dr. Karin, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience: Osteopathic and homeopathic physician for 14 years. General practice, adults and children.