Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a Yamaha HTR-5540 stereo receiver that got wet while

I have a Yamaha HTR-5540 stereo receiver that got wet while it was on. I got the little bit of water out of it but it would not turn back on. I took it apart and the fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse but it still will not turn on after a day of drying out. I really like the unit and want to fix it. Is there a circuit breaker something else I can check?

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Bear with me as I review your concern.

Initially, which fuse was blown? Which part/section got wet?

If comfortably able and feel safe to do so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Still, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • locate the standby power supply board;
  • • test for 13.4 ACV at the secondary winding of the standby transformer T921;
  • • check collector and emitter voltages of Q922 and Q924;
  • • when attempting to turn on, measure the voltage at the base of Q921.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. I will try that. The main switch seems to be working but no power going through it.

Yes please. The above tests would work with either completely/electrically dead HTR-5540 or "...would not turn back on..."

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The unit continued to blow fuses so I threw it away. Thanks

I understand and appreciate the update.

I also realize that the earlier information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.