Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My rear speakers are not working. I think my son pushed a

Customer Question

My rear speakers are not working. I think my son pushed a button on the receiver and I don't know which one.
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: Denon In Command X4200W
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I believe my son pushed a button on the receiver. Because my rear speakers always use to work.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have 5 speakers plus the base speaker.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

First, check several different sources on the Denon (ex: Cable. DVD, FM tuner, etc.), and let me know if there's only one specific one the rear speakers do not work in. Also confirm whether or not ALL sources have the same issue.

Additionally, try the various "Sound Mode" sources (Movie, Music, etc.) and let me know if the rear speakers play on ANY of those.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

If NO sources playback sound from the rear speakers (make sure you try FM tuner, as well- and try the "Sound mode" buttons), THEN the next steps are both reboots (with the latter one requiring the receiver be setup as if it were new again).

First, unplug the receiver's power cord for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Check to see if the rear speakers work.

If they still do not (and you have already checked the previous things mentioned above- which are ALL important in troubleshooting), then a reset to factory defaults of the Denon would need to be done next. To do this, click the link below and scroll to page 300, then follow the instructions for "Resetting Factory Settings", and let me know what happens:

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20160922203800/Manuals/033/033AVX4200.PDF

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Movies and Blu-ray work with rear speakers. I really can't remember but I believe we would get surround sound with music. Now we don't.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay, I need to know what you're using for "Music"- since you said "Movies" work with the rear speakers? In other words what "Source" is the Denon playing when playing music?

Also, did you try the Sound buttons I described above?

Did you reset the processor?

What else have you tried- can you please elaborate?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I need to leave. Will return in about 2-3 hours.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Okay, I may be back online by them. Simply reply to the info requested above- I will reply when able.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.