DJAVS
DJAVS, Engineer
Experience:  Expert in technology!
75269529

I have a Bose Home Theater surround system and an LG 65 inch

Customer Question

I have a Bose Home Theater surround system and an LG 65 inch TV. I have optical cable going from the Bose to the DIRECTV box to play sound for the TV and DVD player. I do I get my AMAZON fire stick to play through the Bose system?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: LG,65inch curved screen and it's about 1 year old.
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I plug the fire stick into the HDMI port of the back of the TV and when I switch to that port to play the Fire Stick all I can get is the TV sound, nothing from the Bose
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have tried running sound cords from the Bose unit for HDMI 3 to create sound for the Fire Stick, but nothing
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

In order to get sound through the Bose when using the Firestick, you need to change how the sound is routed. Right now, it's impossible for any other source besides the DTV box to play through the Bose since it's directly connected to it. You need to remove the optical cable from the back of the DTV box and plug it into the TV instead. The TV has an optical audio output that sends all audio from the TV to external devices. Connect the optical from the TV to the Bose to fix the issue. If you're unable to get sound from the Bose at this stage, reply back with the full model number off of the back of the LG so I can tell you what settings to change.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hooked up the optic cable as you described. When I start a program on the Fire Stick I get sound from both the DVD box and the tv. Still nothing from the Bose when I play the Fire Stick. Any suggestions?
LG TV Model 65EG9600
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

How do you get sound from "both" the DVD box and TV exactly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I really have no idea. I have the DIRECTV BOX hooked up to HDMI 1. The Fire Stick is hooked up to HDMI 3. I have to switch between 1 and 3 depending on which system I want to watch.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Something is not hooked up correctly. With the optical cable connected from the TV to the Bose, it sends WHATEVER you are viewing to the Bose. Please elaborate on exactly what you have connected for cables and where specifically they are connected.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The first photo shows where the optic cable, Fire Stick, and satillite box are connected to the tv. The second photo shows how things are hooked up to the Bose box.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

You still have the Bose set to the TV or DVD source instead of optical, that's why you still have sound from those devices. You need to change the Input on the Bose.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I need the model number of the Bose if you're unsure how to change the Bose Input to "TV".

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe the Bose model #AV35
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Did you try changing the Bose Input using the Bose remote to the "TV Input"?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, what or how do I do that
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

"Source" button on Bose remote. Use it to select "TV" so that TV shows on the display of the Bose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok now what
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I don't know, tell me what's going on- do you have the Firestick playing on the TV? Is the sound coming from the TV speakers, or what?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm not available by phone. Please reply back to the info requested above.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Do you have the Firestick playing right now on the TV- yes or no?

If so, is the sound coming from the TV speakers right now- yes or no?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Are you still here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will switch to the Fire Stick the Fire Stick is playing and I have sound from the TV and the DIRECTV BOX (via the Bose)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just sent a reply
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

You don't have the optical activated on the TV or the TV speakers shut off. I need the model number off of the back of the LG TV now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
LG 65EG9600
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Your TV has an E-manual, so I can't look it up. Use your Magic remote and go into MENU, and look for any settings under audio/sound. Let me know what you see.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is a sound icon, when I click on it there is a bubble that pops up saying DISABLED
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Okay, I can't even view your TV's manual so I'll opt out now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, try again another day
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, try again another day?
Expert:  DJAVS replied 2 months ago.

Hello, maybe I can help you.

Expert:  DJAVS replied 2 months ago.

I am a very experienced audio/video contractor. Maybe I can explain to you what is going on with your system.