Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I need to program my iPhone to act like a remote control for

Customer Question

I need to program my iPhone to act like a remote control for my Westinghouse TV. Version: TW-61601-K042A. Serial #: 6160Y03400734. Happy New Year
JA: Thanks. Same to you!
Customer: I don't know remote code. I did download a Westinghouse app.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 5-6+ years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: My remote does not work so I manually use tv buttons to access settings. Exhausted trying.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Here's my real problem: I received a "digital" antenna for Xmas- to pick up local stations through TV's "antenna" or other settings (not hdmi). Once I get to antenna, menu asks me to input a code. BUT I CANT INPUT ANYTHING UNLESS I HAVE A REMOTE FOR INPUTTING! argh.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Using an iphone would not be an option here, this is not a smart tv and has no ability to use a network based remote.

An iphone also does not have an infrared emitter (unless you purchased some external device for that purpose) so it wouldn't work either.

Lets try a quick test of the factory remote. Take the tv remote into a dim/dark room, and look at the infrared emitter at the front edge of the remote, as viewed through the DISPLAY (not the viewfinder) of a digital camera. A cell phone cam, web cam, security camera, etc will also work. Each time you press a button on the remote, you should see the emitter at the front light up, flash, or glow slightly. If you do not, then the remote is bad and would need to be replaced. If you do, then the remote is functional, and the fault is in the tv, and we can discuss options for addressing that.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.