Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

The CD player stopped mid song. Hadn't used it in a year.

Customer Question

The CD player stopped mid song. Hadn't used it in a year. When I unplug it and replug the CD ejects, radio works but when I put a CD back in everything powers down and only when to get it to light up again is to unplug and replug. Dust maybe?
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: Wave Music System, maybe 5 years old, not sure.
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It had played about half of a CD, again this was the first time I had used the CD player in about a year. Haven't done any troubleshooting, just unplugging. Did see a reset button when I examined this system.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 22 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 22 days ago.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.