Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Have a set os Sony sound bar model HTRT5, when I switch on

Customer Question

Have a set os Sony sound bar model HTRT5, when I switch on the power, the sound bar screen shown: PUSH-POWER-PRTCT, please let me know how to take care of this problem? thanks
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Sony HT-RT5, more than a year old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: about a week and I off all the power and removed the wire from the outlet
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just all
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That is actually two messages:

PUSH POWER

and

PRTCT (that is, 'Protect').

That means you need to turn Off the power ('Push Power'), and 'Protect' means protection against a short circuit has been turned On by the automated circuitry.

After turning it Off, you are to check whether the + and – speaker cords short-circuited?
And whether you are using only the specified speakers?.
And whether anything is blocking the ventilation holes of the system? (That could activate circuitry protection perhaps.)

Most likely speaker wires are crossed. But sometimes, also, the internal audio outputs could be internally shorted. That would require repair of the device, if so.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My devise is a sony sound bar, I can't see any speaker or wire outside, so how can I take care of the problem?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 days ago.

If there is no external speaker involved, then what else is the Sony bar attached to?

If it does the same even when nothing (but the power cord) is attached to it, then how old is it, measured from date-of-purchase, please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
only the power power card is attached, this sound bar is 14 months old
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 days ago.

That's a shame. That means it is outside of normal (1-year) warranty coverage.

Try unplugging it, and leaving it overnight.

After that, or before that, an idea: shake it a little. Do you hear anything sliding, rattling, or clinking inside it? if so, a paper-clip or similar small metal object may have gotten inside the device and may be shorting out circuitry, causing the message. If so, turning it upside down (more or less) and shaking until the metal object comes out (a grille or other opening in the case) might help!

If after that it still says the same thing, then it will need service-repairing, unfortunately. Outside of warranty coverage, that will require money.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Your advise does not help at all, I do not want to go any further.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 days ago.

OK.