Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Bose CineMate 15 Home Theater Speaker System is not

Customer Question

My Bose CineMate 15 Home Theater Speaker System is not working with my Sony TV anymore. It plays fine through Bluetooth connection. I see light on both ends of the fiber cable that connects the tv to the Bose.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Sony. It is less than 2 years old. I bought them both at the same time
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It happened from one night to the next day. We had no power outage nor any electrical storm. I have checked the fiber cable and made sure that the sound for the tv is set to external sound.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 8 days ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.
By far the most common cause of this problem, is a glitch in the cable box processing.
Please follow the steps below:
1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).
2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).
3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.
4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem- since we already know the Bose works fine with it's BlueTooth- it is not a likely culprit.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
These steps have been done. Please note that this is an external Bose sound bar (Bose® CineMate® 15 Home Theater Speaker System) that is connected by a fiber cable to my TV. The Bose sound system works fine when it is used via a Bluetooth connection with my iPad.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 days ago.

Thank you. Yes I understand all of that. So did you try a DVD player and if so what were the results?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Same issue.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 days ago.

Okay I understand. Even though the optical cable is emitting light- does not mean it's functional. Fibre will always emit light, even when there's a break in the cable. Do you have another optical cable you can try?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No. Not at this time. Wanted to exhaust all other possibilities prior to purchasing another cable.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 days ago.

Alright. Unfortunately if the issue goes beyond the cable then it would appear to be inherent to the Bose- even though the Blue Tooth is working. I would suggest trying to unplug the Bose and leave it unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes the processor resets and then plug it back in to see if that works. If not, then the next step is to swap the optical cable. However if the issue goes beyond those steps, then this would indicate a hardware issue in the Bose requiring service. Since they are the only ones that service their gear, you would need to contact them directly at the number below:

BOSE:
For assistance with your product, please call us toll-free at 1-***-***-****. For help with our aviation headsets, call 1-***-***-****.
For the best possible service, please have your product nearby when you call. Hours of operation: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 8 PM ET

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 days ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks Aric
Expert:  Aric replied 8 days ago.

You're welcome and best of luck with the Bose. Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?