Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have worked with home theater systems for over 20 years.
11519491

I have a Bose AV18 5.1 system that's a few years old.

Customer Question

Hi! I have a Bose AV18 5.1 system that's a few years old. Recently, the rear 2 channels and the front 2 channels have started having cut out failures - where part of the sound cuts in and out, but not all of it (this is when playing a CD, we don't currently use the home theater functionality). The center channel and sub seem to be functioning properly. Any suggestions? my thinking is that something might be wrong with the amplified channels in the sub, but i don't want to bring it to bose repair if there's something easy i can do to fix it here.
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: Bose AV18 5.1 not sure how old it is, can't remember... but its old enough to not have an HDMI input
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: its been happening for a while. only trouble shooting has been to rewire the system to ensure its not a shoddy connection. the things that are going wrong though don't point to wiring.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: we aren't currently using it as a theater system, only for CDs and auxiliary inputs. ok, i don't mind paying for something that fixes the problem, but i'm not interested in paying for someone to tell me its broken
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Michael replied 7 days ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

This is an internal issue with electrolytic capacitors.

Do you have electronic rework experience?

If so we can check these components you would also need a capacitor checker and a multi meter.

If not though, you can take that to Best Buy or Sears for repair service, they are fair priced and do excellent repair work, and above all else, they are both Honest;-)

If they wont service that one for any reason please let me know as I have other options for you as well for this;-)

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Michael,
Thanks! I'll look into getting the unit serviced - my electronics days are way behind me (computer engineer like 10 years ago!). One follow up question - the base unit is very small, and runs a main signal line to the subwoofer, which then powers the speakers. It's pretty clear to me there's signal demodulation and amplification happening in the sub. Which unit do you suspect we have the electrolytic capacitance problem, do I need to bring them both in?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Oh, and I'll absolutely give good feedback!
Expert:  Michael replied 6 days ago.

Sounds Great!

I wish you the best with that, and Im sure they will repair this well for you;-)

Please rate my service kindly at this time so I can close this out for us, no additional cost for that.

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
One follow up question - the base unit is very small, and runs a main signal line to the subwoofer, which then powers the speakers. It's pretty clear to me there's signal demodulation and amplification happening in the sub. Which unit do you suspect we have the electrolytic capacitance problem, do I need to bring them both in?
Expert:  Michael replied 5 days ago.

Hi, I suspect the the main unit, but true, the sub does do a lot with making its sound as it really takes in a passive audio signal, so that said, yes I would bring both components in;-)

Please remember to rate kindly at this time so I can remain with you, also there is no cost for that;-)

Thank you and have a great day!

Tech Michael