Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

We have 2 Bose radio-CD players and cannot get sound out of

Customer Question

We have 2 Bose radio-CD players and cannot get sound out of either and both cd players are not functioning correctly
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: Have to go get the booklets - Shall I contact again after I locate them
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: We have tried reconnecting and don't know what else to do
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: One of the cd players keeps printing reading over and over and The other is the older one and a cd got stuck in it. I was able to get the cd out by holding the radio upside down and shaking gently. Was desparate by the time I tried that.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is not just a CD player problem. The radios also do not work. They light up as usual, but that is all they do.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for clarifying,

Since there are 2 radios that compounds the problem, we really should focus on just one, but much of the info I can give you here will apply to both.

For the issue of not responding to any commands,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; these bose radios typically have an expected service life of about 5 years.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; however bose repairs are often not practical as it can cost as much to fix as to replace, and repair options are very limited.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with repair options or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.