Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a 3155 stereo amp and my volume knob makes a cracking

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 3155 stereo amp and my volume knob makes a cracking noise when I try to volume up. I have to jiggle the knob to get it to have half decent sound. My question is this a easy repair?
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: NAD STEREO AMP 3155. Model 3155 and serial 401337. Its like a 1980 model.
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It's been doing this for a while. It's like the volume control is dirty or something. I tried cleaning but it didn't help
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's a old receiver and I would like to get it fixed if I can. It's been really good with sound as far as power hooked to my old 901 Bose.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Can you please tell me what method you tried cleaning with? Did you use a contact cleaner inside of the volume control?

Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

Please let me know and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

When the volume crackles like this, it's caused by dirty contacts inside of the volume potentiometer. The method to clean the volume pot, is to use a contact cleaner like "DeOxit" (at the link below) and with the top of the receiver removed (unit unplugged as well), locate the small opening in the back of the volume pot, and liberally spray the tip of the De-Oxit spray can into this opening while simultaneously working the volume pot up and down. Repeat this procedure several times and this will clean the contacts and eliminate the crackling sound.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

This is common with ALL receivers and amplifiers when they reach several years of age, as dust and dirt migrates into the volume control by attracting to the heat generated within the receiver (heat attracts dust). The steps above are what is needed to fix the issue.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply, but if this is something you're not comfortable with, then a shop will typically charge $50 in labor to clean the potentiometer (pot) in the unit and can be located using the link below:

http://www.stereorepair.com

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 days ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.