Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Yamaha RX-V367 no output. Tried full volume control range.

Customer Question

Yamaha RX-V367 no output. Tried full volume control range. Dead silence.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, a little more background info please:

• • has it been in storage for a length of time;
  • • or is this a fresh / first time install;
  • • or has been working as expected and this issue just recent;
  • • any recent upgrades, new devices, work, repairs or mods done to the system?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No, no, yes, no
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Great on the DIY!

Still, let's try check / review the basics (even if just to eliminate these as suspects):

• use a pair of headphones;
  • plug / unplug a couple of times the headphones to exercise the hidden speaker switch inside the headphone jack;
  • perform an INIT (reset).
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
How to "reset?"
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: Please click HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No change with headphones. Also, the unit won't stay powered up. It shuts itself off after a few minutes. I'm assuming it's dead and beyond repair or that it would cost more than it's worth to fix.
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Sorry but my understanding initially was "...volume control...dead silence..." not "...unit won't stay powered up. It shuts itself off..."

Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Still and with this new information, proposed preliminary tries/checks (if have not been done) should further DIY be attempted:

• standby SP / 10.0V;
  • PRY drive when turning on both presence and consistency;
  • relay SW151 contact actions.