Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a radio shack high power stereo speaker control

Customer Question

i have a radio shack high power stereo speaker control attached to a RCA PROFESSIONAL SERIES STAV-3870 WHICH IS CONNECT TO A BOSE SURROUND UNIT. MY LATE HUSBAND INSTALLED & WIRED SPEAKER UPSTAIR & DOWNSTAIRS. HE DIED 15 YEARS AGO SO I DON'T HAVE HIM TO HELP
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: ALWAYS WORKED FINE UNTIL YESTERDAY I HAVE POWER TO THE UNIT BUT NONE OF THE SPEAKERS WILL COME ON. BY NOW I HAVE PUSHED ALL BUTTONS ON THE RECEIVER & STRIPPED THE WIRES & PUT BACK IN NO GO THE UNIT IS NOT GOING THRU THE TV
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: UNPLUGGED EVRYTHING ,LEFT OFF ,STRIPPED WIRES & REINSERTED. IT IS VERY OLD WOULD IT HAVE JUST DIED?
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It may, unfortunately, have died. Old stereo equipment does do that.

I think that you shoud try this:

1. if you have a voltmeter, set it to Ohms/Resistance, and test across the speaker wires, one pair of wires at a time, to see if any are shorted as opposed to just the resistance of the speakers.

2. if you don't, disconnect all speakers but one, and try turning the device again.

3. if that doesn't work either, turn it Off, disconnect that speaker, connect a different one up (and only one) and try turning it On again...

If that doesn't produce any result, the device is most likely defective in its audio amplifier.

But, also, make sure (in the above tests) that the speakers are selected/activated on the device's controls (if it has speaker selection as a feature, e.g. a 'speaker' switch.)

And check to see if there is a speaker fuse in a transparent holder on the back of the device, also, and whether that looks blown (which is usually quite obvious when it is.)

After that you'll have to assume the device is defective / needs repair, I'm sorry to say if that is how it does turn out.