Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

It's my clock radio. It just shut down one day, went black.

Customer Question

JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: Bose Wave Radio, Model AWR1-1W. It's about 15 and been faithful.
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing happened, it just quit one day. I read online to try putting a new battery in, I did that and it's still dead.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 19 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 19 days ago.

Is it just the display that went out?
Are you still getting sound?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No display or sound.
Expert:  Nathan replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2002 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this radio is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs for these units are generally not feasible. It will cost about as much to fix as to replace with a new model.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with repair options, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 12 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
This did not work. It is still black and unresponsive.