Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Cannot get sound when I am using my DVD player. Tried to put

Customer Question

Cannot get sound when I am using my DVD player. Tried to put the output on PCM and it didn't work
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: UN32j4000AFXZA. It's only a couple months old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the menue works. Have hookd up to a soundbar and DVR
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just tried to play a movie yesterday and get picture but no sound...only tv sound. It's not switching to the DVD player
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I need to know the Brand and Model of the DVD player and also what specific cables are you using to hook it up?

Additionally what's the brand and model of the soundbar and how specifically is that connected?

Expert:  Aric replied 17 days ago.

If you need help, then please simply reply back. I will be back online later in the day.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The DVD player is Toshiba model number DVR62OKU and the hookup cables are the basic red and white ones. The soundbar is NK6 Nakamichi and is hooked up with the same type of cable
Expert:  Aric replied 17 days ago.

Sorry, I'm not available by phone. And the soundbar is connected to where- the back of the cable box? Please check as it seems that is the problem here.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The soundbar is connected to the TV
Expert:  Aric replied 17 days ago.

Well your TV doesn't have red and white audio outputs, so I would double check that. The TV uses optical. Right now you have no sound because the cable box red and white are plugged into your soundbar. Please go and check that.

Expert:  Aric replied 17 days ago.

That's why your DVR plays on the soundbar and your DVD plays through the TV speakers. There's no other explanation, but I need you to be my eyes on site and confirm and follow exactly where the soundbar red and white cables are connected to on the OTHER end (not the soundbar).

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
They are connected to the TV
Expert:  Aric replied 17 days ago.

Sorry, there's no way because your TV doesn't use those jacks for audio out. I will opt out.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
They do use the red and white cables
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Does the sound bar need to be connected to the cable box
Expert:  Steve G. replied 16 days ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Steve. I am another expert and I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Upon completion of our chat, you will be asked to rate my service. Please understand that this is the only way I am ever compensated by this site. Please do not rate me until you are completely satisfied. It is in my best interest to completely fix your issue so that I may be compensated.

Ok then. Here we go. I have read your conversation with Aric and I have a couple of questions.

Can you confirm that you have a red and a white cable running from the TV to the Soundbar.

Are there any other wires running into the soundbar not including the one to the subwoofer?

Please let me know.

Steve