Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

The remote control for my Cinemate system is not working

Customer Question

The remote control for my Cinemate system is not working properly. It will turn on the bose system, TV and Cable box, but it cannot change channels or volume.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It is an older Sony HD flat screen. This is a first time problem.
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried changing out the batteries, rebooting the cable box and TV. Interesting thing is - the remote can turn on the bose system but cannot change the volume on it.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I changed out the batteries I noticed the old ones were leaking. Is it possible it compromised part of the remote but not all?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Lets try a quick test of the bose remote. Take the remote into a dim/dark room, and look at the infrared emitter at the front edge of the remote, as viewed through the DISPLAY (not the viewfinder) of a digital camera. A cell phone cam, web cam, security camera, etc will also work. Each time you press a button (such as the tv power, or channel buttons) on the remote, you should see the emitter at the front light up, flash, or glow slightly. Do you see that for ALL of the buttons, or some but not others?