Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have an AVR-1604 and it shut itself down abruptly today

Customer Question

I have an AVR-1604 and it shut itself down abruptly today while playing a CD. The standby light blinks continuously twice/second. When selected on, it cycles through its boot-up and when the display indicates "receiver", it shuts down again. I disconnected all speakers suspecting a short but no joy.
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: AVR-1604. 7 years old
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Have you read my first statement?
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it. No pop no sparks. Thanks
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 25 days ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Have you tried a reset of the microprocessor yet?

If not, click the link below and scroll to page 54 then follow the instructions for "Initialization of the Processor", and let me know what happens:

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20111011085300/Manuals/033/033AVR1604.PDF

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I reset the microprocessor with no change.
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

If you disconnect all the speakers and all input sources, will it turn on and stay on all by itself?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
disconnected speakers and input sources with no change.
Expert:  Nathan replied 24 days ago.

Thank you for trying,

Unfortunately that confirms an internal hardware failure. The system is shutting down as part of a protection mode to prevent further damage. There is a fault in the power supply or a short (dc offset condition) in the output stage of the amplifier.

This can happen as the result of damage from a power surge, but is also often just from normal age related wear and tear. I know you said 7 years old, but this is a 2003/2004 model, so it is actually at least 12 years old at this point, and well over doulbe its service life.

While it is possible to fix, it is simply not practical or worthwhile to do so, repairs will easily run you several hundred dollars, more than enough to replace it with a brand new model with updated features (hdmi, networking, etc) and a fresh warranty. That said, I can help with finding a repair shop or replacement recommendations, whichever you prefer.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 19 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.